Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you hear a meteor?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes you can I experienced a definate 'whoosh' while catching sight of a meteor from my back garden I think it was last year. Its in one of my old threads somewhere.

Never heard one since even after observing several others from the same location.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one - beginning to doubt myself. I've seen a few but this was the only time I've heard a noise. This particular one was very fast (I guessed 0.5secs visible) and crossed the sky horizon to horizon almost directly above me, a feint whoosh sound seems about right but mine had less of the 'ssh' and more of the 'whoo' if you know what I mean. Like a feint gust of wind almost (it was a very still night though).

Anyway, I'm a believer...

I'm not a believer.

It's simply not possible to hear the sound of a tiny something 40-50 miles away instantaneously. Bad science. Meteors looks as though they should go 'wooooshhh', like a firework, so I guess the mind plays tricks into thinking that they made a sound!

Well, the mind playing tricks is certainly an option. I don't understand why it only decided to trick me on one occasion and not the countless others I've seen which were silent. Hopefully it'll be proved scientifically one way or the other some day.

Archived