SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dob for solar observing, practical or not?

I'd love a solar scope , but that not going to happen before a lottery win, so....

Is it possible and or practical, to get a filter for the scope and eyepiece and get to see interesting stuff on our nearby star?

I am guessing I need some filterfilm or cover for the opne end of the scope, then some filter that screws into the e/p?

What do we think?

Cheers

Wise

A filter made of Baader solar film for the end of the scope should be all you need. Just check it every time you use it and make it well enough that it won't blow away in a breeze. Alternatively, buy one ready-made.

There's no need for an eyepiece filter, though some people like to use coloured (and other) filters to bring out detail.

James

As above. You have an 8 inch scope which is not too large to work without stopping down. On a larger one I'd have suggested reducing the aperture with a mask. As well as ensuring that the Baader film is very secure (very very secure!) do remember to tape the end cap onto the finder or you may feel as if a welder has just given your bonce a squirt with his torch!

You'll see excellent sunspot detail and just maybe a hint of granulation, but not the prominences.

Olly

Agree with the above comments and as well as the Baader solar film I also use a Baader Solar Continuum Filter on the eyepiece. Be aware that with flextube scopes you need a full truss tube shroud as off axis light can burn holes in things.

Thanks guys, err yes I hadnt thought of the filter blowing off, err, will have to think of a foolproof way of fixing it.

I do have a shroud, will have to make sure its absolutely light proof, and I dont have a finder as I use a Rigel finder, so thats one less thing to worry about.

Thanks

Wise

obviously, make sure the scope is in collimation. That will help you get the most out of your scopes resolution and allow you to push higher mags even with unavoidable heat currents associated with viewing in the daylight. try to make a large mask that goes around the OTA at the front, which will block sunlight from hitting your face while viewing.

i purchased my 300p second hand and its got some solar film under the small removable cap in the main dust cap and it looks simple enough to do with some solar filmn and some sturdy tape.not yet had chance to try it out yet as im a bit nervous

I done the same with my 200P & it worked just fine for me.

I done the same with my 200P & it worked just fine for me.

So, the filter sits over the small hole on the plastic cover, and this cover goes where? in its origional place on the non flex bit of the tube tube, or over theh top, near the secondary mirror?

Sorry didnt realise yours was a flextube as mine isnt so I'm guessing you would put the cover in the usual place & put a shroud around the struts to keep the stray light out? I'm sure someone with a flextube will be able to clarify this though.

yup i have the 200 flexi use the reducer on the cover with the badder soalr film it goes at the top of tube not the hole nearest the mirror and you need to light proof the flex [i use an old camp map [neoprene one] with velcro strap which works well

• 2 weeks later...

Wiseman - I have a 10" dob and made my own full(ish) aperture filter. It would be perfect for an 8" as the solar film isn't big enough to make a proper full aperture for my scope. It works a treat though. I stuck some dense foam on the inside so that I could squeeze it over the end of the scope and get a really snug fit that stays put no matter what.

It's made from a hat box which I cut the bottom out of and then cut a hole in the lid and glued them together with the solar film sandwiched in between. Here's a pic of it all in action.

post-8924-0-51379300-1346360740_thumb.jp

post-8924-0-60691500-1346360791_thumb.jp

Archived