Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Colliford Lake - Friday 10th August

jflowers

We were on holiday in Cornwall last week and sacrificed a few bits of luggage to take the LXD55 and HEQ5, well has to be done doesn't it :)

Weather was absolute poo Saturday to Wednesday (it persisted it down constantly) and warm but cloudy Thursday. It was absolutely great Friday though, so packed up the car and set off for Colliford Lake which we checked earlier and noticed a few nice car parks around the lake (probably not a good idea to go on your own, we had a couple of visitors, but they soon moved on when they saw we were there to stay, not to mention the Bodmin ponies). Anyway, parked the car and turned off the car lights. What an amazing sight, honestly never seen the sky like that before, beautiful. The milky way stretched right over head, horizon to horizon. Saw a few things we don't get to see from the garden which only has a clear view west. M17 probably being the best telescope target, but by far the star of the night (see what I did there?) was the Perseids, meteor after meteor with some really good ones that left trails that lingered for 20-30 seconds. In fact the show was so good that after a few more DS objects M16, M20, M31, M51, M101 and M33 we packed the telescope away and just sat with cups of coffee and watched until well after the moon had risen.

Cant wait till February when we will be under dark skies again at Astro Adventures :)

Jon

Colliford lake is about 30mins away from me and I've been planning a evening down there for some time so its good to hear a good report about it, very much looking forward to going down there now.

Thanks for the report. :)

Colliford lake is about 30mins away from me and I've been planning a evening down there for some time so its good to hear a good report about it, very much looking forward to going down there now.

Thanks for the report. :)

YW

It really was that good, trying to 3 star align was a nightmare, through the polar scope we had 5 stars that could have been Polaris, at home polaris is the only star visable!

Sounds good Jon - like Mike I am only 30 minutes away and must try harder to get up there; if it is that good probably will just go for the visuals. I love just standing under a dark sky Milky Way - unfortuantely it has been some years since I last did so.

Sorry to hear your holiday down here was less than perfect Jon.

Sorry to hear your holiday down here was less than perfect Jon.

Dont be, it was fantastic as always, we go somewhere in Cornwall every year and have not had a bad one yet, despite being VERY unlucky with the weather :)

Jon can you remember seeing much of a skyglow coming from the Bodmin (SW) or Liskeard (SE) areas? One of the reasons I've been holding back from going to Colliford is I want to have good southerly views of Sagittarius.

As you know I am a bit of a lurker on here. Living next to Colliford Lake I am interested to hear peoples experience of the night sky and it all seems to be positive...

I'm no expert but it does seem a good location, subject to the weather.

Interested in any plans that people may have to organise something in the area, or as said before I can provide what I think would be a suitable location.

BR

Nigel

nigel@collifordlakepark.co.uk

And we thank you for that Nigel but it is difficult to make arrangement for such things in advance. Until the last moment it is difficult to decide whether it will be worth it until the weather has been assessed, it is the right time of the year (long dark nights) and who will be available at such short notice to actually turn up. Although big star parties are well planned in advance, smaller gatherings tend to be on a very ad hoc basis and that makes it difficult.

Thank you again for your kind offer and hopefully we will be able to take you up on it sometime. :laugh: :laugh:

Archived