Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Alucard

hello from Los Angeles

hey I'm from los Angeles and to be perfectly honest I just came on here to ask if anybody new a good place to watch the perseid meteor shower tonight. I am on the westside of Los Angeles so I was thinking of Malibu creek state park or topanga state park. But I really only found those from seeing them on mapquest and I have no idea where in those parks to go or were my group of people can go. I have also never gone out to see a meteor shower before so I'm starting from scratch. Any suggestions on better places to go would also be appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to sgl and the forums.I cannot answer your questions but i'm sure some one will be along shortley that can

Clive

• Like 1

Hi. Welcome to SGL. I'm sure if you go to the desert and away from light pollution you should get a great view, but not knowing the distance involved this might not be possible for you. :)

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

I don't know how many members from your area read the welcome forum so you may be better asking a question in the 'Beginners Help and Advice' forum. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

hey I'm from los Angeles and to be perfectly honest I just came on here to ask if anybody new a good place to watch the perseid meteor shower tonight. I am on the westside of Los Angeles so I was thinking of Malibu creek state park or topanga state park. But I really only found those from seeing them on mapquest and I have no idea where in those parks to go or were my group of people can go. I have also never gone out to see a meteor shower before so I'm starting from scratch. Any suggestions on better places to go would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello from the United Kingdom, and welcome to the forum.

You would have to travel some to get away from the LA's light dome, however for a short ride, you could head up PCH to Trancas Beach, and go up Encinal Canyon Road.

Cheers, as they say over here.

Hi Alucard,

I live near downtown LA and just spent the entire night with over 100 stargazers at Mount Pinos in Frazier Park. This is about the closest darkest site from LA., although it is 90 miles away at 8,300 ft elevation. The Milky Way is plainly visible from this site.

The annual Classic Star Party takes place next weekend there, an all weekend event. I'll be up there on Saturday night again.

Hi Alucard and welcome to the lounge from middle England, I hope you have found a good observing site and this is the first step in a lifetime of star gazing.

Welcome to SGL, Alucard!

Joshua Tree is the place to go; bit of a drive though...

Dodgers or Angels?

Dana

Hi Alucard,

I live near downtown LA and just spent the entire night with over 100 stargazers at Mount Pinos in Frazier Park. This is about the closest darkest site from LA., although it is 90 miles away at 8,300 ft elevation. The Milky Way is plainly visible from this site.

The annual Classic Star Party takes place next weekend there, an all weekend event. I'll be up there on Saturday night again.

wow carbon,would love to hear how you get on..