Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M17 Omega - First attempt (hubbled)

Uranium235

This has been one that has passed me by for a couple of years due to me concentrating on other targets in the area (M16 for example), but this year I thought I would give it a go, however the last couple of nights havent made it easy with high cloud and unsteady seeing (had to ramp PHD up to 4.5s exposure) making guiding in that part of the sky a bit lumpy.

Last nights session ended at midnight (clouded out) so im still a bit short on data, I've only managed to grab just over an hour per channel so the noise levels arent as low as I'd like them to be (needs at least double data), having said that it is a suprisingly bright target. I will try to top it up, but I'd say theres about a month left on it before its too low for me to attempt.

Usual processing used: high pass filter and sharpening + light NR on the luminence layer. RGB layer balanced, selective colour, heavy NR, then blend as colour into the luminence master. Once I have more data (and less noise) I will improve the luminence channel by including the OIII and SII data, rather than just using Ha for L.

One other thing..... it is me or are there loads of mozzies about this year? Ive already been bitten a couple of times and the one I caught looking for dinner on my hand was far too big to be a gnat, plus it made that distinctive annoying bzzzzzz sound when its near your ear (just before you slap yourself to get rid of it!). Its just a bit unusual becuase mozzies arent something I expect in a typical British garden, hopefully its not a sign of things to come.

M17 Omega nebula

NEQ6, ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+

Ha_L 14x300, SII_R 12x300, Ha_G 12x300, OIII_B 12x300

Setpoint: -10

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=69595

post-5513-0-00987100-1344692206_thumb.jp

Honestly, this is a hard one - as hard as anything I've ever tried. It's a good idea to stay in narrowband since there are so many bloat-prone young blue stars in the region that a colour layer is seriously difficult. This is very good and only needs more data to reduce noise. It must be a tree-skimmer from the UK!! Well done indeed. No nasty star holoes - noted!!

Olly

Honestly, this is a hard one - as hard as anything I've ever tried. It's a good idea to stay in narrowband since there are so many bloat-prone young blue stars in the region that a colour layer is seriously difficult. This is very good and only needs more data to reduce noise. It must be a tree-skimmer from the UK!! Well done indeed. No nasty star holoes - noted!!

Olly

Thanks Olly, indeed this was tricky as not only is it a tree skimmer, but a streetlight skimmer. Much harder than it would have been last year because between then and now a new housing development has popped up in that general direction - along with all the lighting and car parking etc that comes with it.

I'll try to add more, but the forecast for the next 2 weeks isnt looking favourable. This year has been a case of fits and starts, we get a good bit of weather - then weeks/months of cloud before we get another break. By which time, whatever you were working on has passed by.

Richard, Ive had a look around for any standing water but I cant see any and my neighbours dont have a pond so im stumped as to where the mozzies are coming from. It might be a result of the unusually wet/humid conditions we've been having this year. Or they could have been blown in on the southerly breeze..... roll on winter!!

I went out for an hours imaging yesterday, this morning I have about 12 angry welts on my back.

Mozzies everywhere in Cambridge area and I seem to have developed an allergy to the bites.

Strangely, I didn't react to French mozzies I met on holidays, only the ones that surface from the fens in Cambridge :(

I think the wet spell followed by the warm weather is perfect for them :(

Fantastic Narrowband image btw, well done on getting that done in the current conditions

I went out for an hours imaging yesterday, this morning I have about 12 angry welts on my back.

Zirtek works a treat on that as it takes away the urge to scratch and reduces the redness. I got buzzed a few times last night as well, no bites though. I doubt whether todays biblical downpour will improve matters either.

If its not too windy/cloudy later on I might try to add more to M17 as last night I was experimenting with trying to fit M31 into two frames, which didnt work out very well (needs at least four).

That is definitely worth being eaten alive, Rob. Nicely done.

BTW, I can't say I've noticed a lot of mosquitoes this year, at least no more than usual. What I have noticed is a huge drop in the number of moths. I'd expected that to be the same with all insects, but I suppose the wet summer has been good for the bloodsuckers.

Archived