SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Veil and M31

Mr Flibble

I had my first night under favourable conditions last night with my new TS 12" and I must say dob's rock!

I spied out the veil for the first time with my UHC filter and it was so bright I could study it with direct vision. In fact it was so bright I could just nudge back and forth between the east and west. How cool is that? :grin: Only this morning I've realised that there's also a northern section Pickering's Triangle, I don't know if its observable but I'll look for it on my next session.

M31 was still quite lowish in the sky and not ideally placed but I thought I'd see what it could offer. Well, with averted vision I could easily see a wide and dark dust lane, and every now and again (you know what its like with averted vision) I thought I could see a second dust lane directly underneath the first one. I can't wait until M31 gets a bit higher and is better placed.

Great stuff David. Yes Pickerings triangle is visually possible. Should be easy enough with your 12" scope.

The combination of large aperture, dark skies and good filtration make the fine filamentary structurre observable visually truly photographic. If you have an O-III filter this will work even better on the veil.

From a good dark sky you will start picking out quite breathtaking detail in the Andromeds Galaxy with a big scope. I'm hoping to start an observing project on its globular clusters this fall.

Steve, I've yet to get an OIII filter but it is on my list. I'm just trying to work out which one to get, maybe the skywatcher or tighter baader for less cost, or splash out and get the lumicon. The problem being its difficult to know which one unless you can test them side by side.

Are GCLs in M31 really visible in your 16"?! I had a quick google and apparently they can appear stellar at really high mag's in large scopes?

I've no longer got a 16" Dob I sold it a few months back :(

The Globs of the Andromeda nebulae start to become visible in scopes around 8"- 10" aperture. I will give the brighter ones a go with my 10". The rest will have to wait until my 20" reflector is finished.

Why not give them a bash with your 12"

Sounds like you had a good session David..............and yes Dobs do rock ! :evil: .Your more than welcome to borrow my 2" OIII filter thats what i was using at our last session up Blaenavon ( on the veil ),its a skywatcher one and im happy with how it performs.Im gutted i had to work friday i would have joined you.

A 20" should be incredible Steve, I'll look forward to hearing about your first light session :grin:

Cheers Mat I'll have a quick go of your oiii at the next meet , yes shame you were working on friday night but I'm sure we'll have a session soon.

Nice report of two great objects !

The Veil is my favourite DSO of this time of year - amazing with a good UHC and perhaps even better with an O-III. I've seen Pickerings Wisp on a number of occasions with scopes as small as 4" aperture though it does need nice dark skies. To me it seems like a vague elongated triangular patch of light between the east and west portions of the Veil.

It's amazing how faint the above objects are without a filter though. Visible with 8" scopes but very indistinct. Worth the price of the filter to make them stand out in my opinion :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one Mr. Flibble, must have looked great through the 12", will be amazing with OIII filter.

I once had the privelege of looking at it through a 15" obsession. It was incredibly bright and detailed, the witches broom looked amazing.

I saw the whole lot with OIII filter in my 106mm apo with 31t5 from a nice dark sight just recently, all fits in the same fov. It's a very different experience, very subtle but observable none the less. As John says Pickerings is visible as an extended triangle, should be easy enough in your scope.

Need to get my old 10" sorted so I can have a better view of it.

Enjoy.

Stu

Saw bits of the eastern veil clearly on Skye through 15x70 binoculars, it really glowed a bright silvery whispery . That's under pristine skies, miles from any streetlights and other light pollution.

Just sheep with those odd glowing night eyes!

Nick.

I did try for the Pickering's section last weekend from my light polluted back garden but I couldn't see it. I could still see the east and west parts but they were very faint compared to the dark site I used in my first post. Cygnus should remain high for a little while yet so hopefully there'll be some more opportunities as the dark nights set in to get it (reaffirms mental note to get an oiii........... :icon_salut:) Yes Stu, I definitely find the eastern section is brighter. Easier to find the witches broom with the telrad and then pan across to the eastern section which seems a bit brighter.

The Eastern Veil is definitely brighter than the Witches Broom, much easier in the 106mm.

Stu

Yep - it's the eastern portion that I've seen with 15x70 binoculars as a faint, thin, arc of misty light. That was on a very dark night when Cygnus was right overhead :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had excellent conditions last night and I'm pleased to say I got my best ever view of the veil. I used an OIII filter and saw so much detail, especially the western section splitting off into two long tendrils and I also saw Pickering's wisp for the first time although it was very faint and difficult to make out much detail. An absolutely stunning nebula with which to spend time at the eyepiece.

..... An absolutely stunning nebula with which to spend time at the eyepiece.....

I totally agree - the Veil is definitely my favourite DSO this time of year. It's a truly beautiful and complex sight :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, great thread, was out last night - first in a while, had a go at Cygnus last night (Tues 18th), had a few clouds coming over - then a clear spell - then clouds again, so not totally clear in Rowley Regis. Really light polluted here so set the GOTO off around the larger diffuse nebulae, using the 36mm Aspheric and swapping between the Baader UHC - S and a Castell OIII, the veil was easily visible with the Witches Broom actually brighter than the "line" of the veil, moved to the Cocoon, nothing in the ep with either filters - I think I was in the right place near to a tight grouping of stars, but no nebula, next the crescent, just a hint of it though - definate nebulosity, finally the North American - not a chance even with averted vision.

I was a little surprised to see the amount of detail in the above targets from such a bright sky this close to such a large built up area - yes, I know that visually your not going to reach photographic/image detail - been observing for years with a few different scopes - but really pleased to get so much in the ep at such a light polluted site.

Regarding the filters - not a great deal in it for me - no real increase in detail from either the Baader or the Castell but both really work against a non filtered view.

Not sure that the increase in aperture has helped here, but I know not the best scope to use on nebulae with the long focal length and a large central obstruction (giving less contrast) but, I think with Cygnus being directly overhead and having Goto ( I really used to struggle with the dob when star - hopping at the zenith) really helps - just waiting for Jupiter to rise at a more convenient hour of the night, saw Venus and Jupiter around 5 ish last Saturday morning WOW - don't think Ive seen Jupiter so high up before (in Taurus) cant wait til she resides in the evening sky. Just wandering if I could get the scope to a dark site - never been to one - how much better the views would be. Cheers all. Paul.

Archived