Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

daz

Prepare for bad weather.....

GSO RC 8" f/8 is on order so apologies for incoming bad weather!!

Looking forward to getting the Atik on it!!

We have had bad weather for months now. I dont think it can get worse.

Now that's just tempting fate... Expect to hear on the news tomorrow that Dublin has been hit by a freak tidal wave or something :)

James

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By xiichakras
      I have an Orion 8" f8 Ritchey-Chretien telescope and I'm trying to figure out the correct extension spacing from the back of my RC telescope while using a focal reducer.  I'm using a TS optics 2" ccd47 .67x focal reducer and the stated distance from sensor of camera to the reducer is between 70-90mm with 85mm being the preferred or ideal distance.  I've got the spacing to 82.78mm distance from the sensor and I'm curious if this distance is supposed to be "subtracted" from the back focus of the telescope with the extension rings?  The telescope came with one 2 inch and two 1 inch extensions for back focus from the telescope, should I use just one 1 inch extension ring, or no extension rings and just attach the focuser straight to the back of the telescope, or a specific combination?  I've included an image to help explain my question.  The left side is the telescopes manual image train examples and on the right side is a representation of my question.  Also when attaching the camera with the 82mm extension tubes and the focal reducer together would you insert the whole setup inside the focuser until the camera is flush with the focuser, or merely insert just the reducer in the focuser and tighten it down that way? (which im assuming is the correct way based on images I've seen with different setups) 

Telescope: Orion 8" f/8 Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph (1600mm focal length)
      Camera:     Altair Hypercam 183c pro
      Camera specs:  Sensor size 1"  (15.86mm diagonal)  
                                Pixel Size           2.4um
                                Resolution         5440 x 3648

• By astrosathya
      Hello Everyone,
      I have a GSO 6" f/4 Astrograph, and there's always been this issue with elongated stars on one edge. I've checked collimation and it is perfect, but for the elongation on one corner. Could someone please throw some light on what's happening

• By astrosathya
      I have encountered a unique problem last night while trying to image using my GSO RC6.
      The scope is well collimated using a long Cheshire as well as a Howie Glatter single beam laser for verification. CCD inspector also gives me good results when checking with an artificial star. However, when I check using a collimation cap the innermost shadow looks offcentered as well as when I pointed the scope on a real star yesterday (Alp Libra) as well as Spica, it showed a crescent shaped star. This I found to be really weird. Anyone have any idea whats happening here? I live in Bangalore, India, so there's virtually no cool down time required. The temperature gradient between outside and inside is very little if any. 
    • By astrosathya
      Hi everyone,
      I recently got myself a GSO 6" f/4 astrograph, but seems like the secondary mirror was quite off. I then tried collimation using Astro Baby's tutorials, and others around the net. I've had a few Nets during the past 20 years, but this one seems to be a bit of a pain to get right. The secondary holder is a bit stiff. Anyone here done any mods for the scope and have reasonably good performance? I'be attached an image with Mire De Collimation circles. Image shows the reflection of primary, followed by the edge of secondary and followed by the grey card placed behind the secondary, which ends with the focuser tube. Any help will be appreciated.
      Edit: If I were to move the secondary towards 2'o'clock position, could it solve the problem?

• By astrosathya
      I purchased a standard GSO 6" RC telescope late 2016. As with other RC scopes, I've had my share of problems with the collimation. As many of you know collimation of the RC is a bit of a struggle. After reading much of the material online, it seems that the procedure boils down to multiple iterations with the simple Cheshire and something called as Hall of Mirrors aka multiple reflection effect. Below are the test images from tonight. Reference star is Canopus. All images are inside of focus, unless mentioned. The small rectangle shows the location of the star in the FoV. I also built myself an artificial star from Aluminum foil and LED torch and checked the collimation indoors. The indoor test is quite better as seeing conditions have not affected the judgement. As you may all notice, I've used Mire De Collimation exe file for final checking. I've not used a laser collimator or Howie, just a simple Cheshire and a real star, though I'd love to try again with a Howie Glatter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.