Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

scoobymike

Gel/VRLA battery question

Hi all,

My Maplins powertank was left charging for a few days by accident and has now decided it doesn't want to play any more. So I have a few questions on a replacement;

I've heard of gel batteries being recommended, and was wondering if these are the same thing as VRLA batteries? I've found some Yuasa VRLA batteries for under £40, which are 12v 22AH (designed for golf buggies I think), and was wondering if they'd be ok for an EQ6. I guess I just need to buy some terminal connectors and connect to a female cigarette lighter socket?

Also should I get one of the quite expensive chargers to go with it, or can I charge more cheaply? (I don't want to damage this one!).

Has anyone got any experience with these who could give me some pointers please?

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike. I have exactly the same question but see you have no replies. Did you ever figure the best approach?

VRLA is still a lead acid battery and could I suspect fail if it is used until drained. VRLA just seemes to mean "sealed".