Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Authorities switching off lights

Starhoparfa

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wait until the neighbours discover solar powered garden lights, mounted on top of the fence. No power bills, and they light up just as it goes dark and stay on all night. Great! I think they've sat out under the lights for a couple of nights this summer....Luckily the lights are not too bright, and an empty plant pot over the top blocks out unwanted light. LP has definitely got worse over the last couple of years as security lights etc have become much cheaper.

Our street lights are still on as well. According the the Campaign for Dark Skies website, the more light at night, the greater the problem with crime. It doesn't work the other way round - i.e. darkness encourages crime, which is unfortunately the 'common sense' view.

Hmmm... The current Conservative MP for East Northants (where I live) is stepping down and the prospective candidate for labour is campaigning on a platform of opposing the recent reductions in street lighting.

They obviously think there's money kicking around to pay for the electric and it's a vote winner. I would prefer the money to go to schools or libraries but evidently these are not a priority!

Happy days :-(

Typed by me, using fumms...

Hampshire are not going with switching off lights between set hours, instead we are getting a minimal dimming (25%) between 12am and 5am. And even that is being challenged by some local MP's as their constituents are worried about crime levels rising as a result.....oh please. The lights are 50% too bright as it is, so the dimming will have little effect.

Archived