Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS Spotting

teleaddict

I mentioned to my 7 year old daughter earlier that I saw the ISS pass over head last night and she almost had a hissy fit because she missed it.

So after checking stellarium, we have just watched if fly over head (between 21.15 & 21:22) together and she is now over the moon. What made it even better was the fact she spotted it first.

I've now got the problem though of trying to calm her down and getting her to sleep. :BangHead:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next pass over my location is 22:55.44. Azimuth 166.4 Elevation 47.6 Magnitude -1.1

In the west at 22.52 Azi.240.9 Elivation 10 degrees. Magnitude 1.1

Magnitude will then be on passing -0.3

All not done with Stellarium. I used Orbitron for satellite and ISS passing.

I've just been outside watching it and my mum came out to have a look and actually spotted it first, was her first time seeing it too. Was great hearing her go on about when she was little thinking about something like that being possible was unimaginable and got me thinking i wonder what's going to be possible by the time my daughter is her age.

I know what she means tho cos have had the same thoughts when reading about these 'elevators' going into space.

Sounds lame but this astronomy stuff is pretty awesome isnt it. Here we are from all over the country and talking about seeing the same thing at the same time that isnt on telly.

Can anyone recommend a decent planatary projector? Would love to get my 6 year old one. One that's accurate or has proper constellations etc

Proper ones cost a fair few quid. The ones you buy in toy stores really aint up to much good. The sky is all properly aligned etc but they really just dont project well onto a ceiling or walls.

I have heard good things about these "Moon Phase Lights": They are astonomically correct and i guess they can act as a night light in a kids bedroom. Ive thought about buying one myself.

No................i'm not afraid of the dark

LOL.

post-5361-0-47692400-1344636150_thumb.jp

Sounds lame but this astronomy stuff is pretty awesome isnt it. Here we are from all over the country and talking about seeing the same thing at the same time that isnt on telly.

If it was on the telly the repeats would be identical. With the ISS even the "repeats" are must see, because each pass over is slightly different...

Just watched the latest pass of the ISS, reached at least 66 degrees from here so quite high overhead. Saw it fade into the Earth's shadow mid-pass and turn a orange colour as it did so.

Cherry on the top was a nice Perseid just below it as it was just starting to fade :laugh: Magic!

Just watched the latest pass of the ISS, reached at least 66 degrees from here so quite high overhead. Saw it fade into the Earth's shadow mid-pass and turn a orange colour as it did so.

Cherry on the top was a nice Perseid just below it as it was just starting to fade :laugh: Magic!

That answers my question, it was the ISS. Turned an orange colour and faded away just as it was starting to pass through the milky way, caught a glimpse of the Perseid too. Time for a red bull, hopefully be an interesting night :D

I have seen the ISS going over and have noticed that Stellarium shows it dissapearing as it enters Earths shadow, checked it out last night and as the ISS started to fade out well above the horizan it also showed it doing the same on Stellarium, nice touch :).

Jim

Archived