SW 200p - Full aperture Baader Solar filter - Opinions please

Telescope40

Hi All. Recently bought a 200p and thinking of making up a full aperture solar filter. Looking for opinions as to whether its worth the effort. Read a few comments , negative , due to it being a Newtonian.

Any thorts, plus or minus, gratefully recieved. I already have a DIY solar filter for my ED100R. Wud the Newt give me a better view ???

Used the scope last nite for the first time. My ham fisted attempts at collimation seem to have gone to plan. Not perfect but not bad either.

Regards john

As said you may well be better off with the 100mm refractor. It has been said many times over the years that the Sun is best observed with scopes of 100mm or less - mainly because any increase in resolution that you get with the larger scope is cancelled out by the effects of the atmosphere caused by the intense heating effects of the Sun itself.

If you do want a filter for the 200P an ordinary sheet of film will be too small and you will need the more expensive next size up (half meter square??). The other option is to make a smaller filter either to cover just the small hole in the scopes dust cover (that's what it is for!!) or make your own front cover and make a filter that is just big enough to fit between the spider legs of the secondary mirror. It will be off axis but that will not make any difference to the image you get.

Archived