SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Early sketches

The Warthog

One of the members was kind enough to ask about my sketches. Here are a couple of my first attempts at drawing at the eyepiece.

The first is a sketch of Heinzel that I made a couple of days after the terminator had passed by:

image.jpg

Of the half-dozen or so sketches I've made, I am happiest with this one. The two small craters are a little too far away, but I think the three-dimensional feeling comes out.

This week, I tried to sketch Playfair and Apianus in the freezing cold:

image.jpg

I am not so happy with the way this turned out, but it's all part of the learning experience. I need a couple of thngs - an easel or lectern type thingy, and an RA drive would be really good. Also, I am mentally designing an observer's chair that I can use.

Anyway, I am not claiming that these are good sketches, just a first stumbling attempt. :clouds2:

It's really nice to see something a bit different from images, I think in some ways these are more artistic because it is your interpretation of what you saw, also, I would imagine they have more meaning because they allow you to remember the actual night alot better than an image does.

Im very interested to see more of these! Most interesting to look at, what I would love even more is if I knew where abouts these places are on the moon!!!

Thanks for sharing :clouds2:

These are both in that heavily cratered area in the south, near the midline of the moon, Playfair is southeast of the 'snowman' group of craters, upper left in a Newt, and Heinzel is the second major crater formation to the west of Tycho, to the right in a Newt.

Thank you for your kind comments. :clouds2:

Excellent drawing's Warthog, i used to do these all the time after being inspired by Sir Patrick Moore. Really nice to see these and hope to see even more from you mate. I,ll have a go tonight if its clear and post the results on here..

James

Hi Warthog

I think that was me, asking about the sketches, as this is something I would like to do. Same as you though, need some sort of easel contraption to reach the eyepiece.

Nice drawings - much better than I will be able to do - I have the artistic tallent of a dead fish so don't get your hopes up!!!

• 3 weeks later...

A technique one of SAC's members uses is this: Start with a small index card without lines. Lightly rub graphite on it to give a beginning background grey color. Use pencil to sketch dark areas and a pointed eraser to lighten brighter areas. We all tried it at one of our meetings and got some great results, right off the bat.

With your natural talent, WH, I'm sure you could get very good quite quickly.

A technique one of SAC's members uses is this: Start with a small index card without lines. Lightly rub graphite on it to give a beginning background grey color. Use pencil to sketch dark areas and a pointed eraser to lighten brighter areas. We all tried it at one of our meetings and got some great results, right off the bat.

With your natural talent, WH, I'm sure you could get very good quite quickly.

Thats is really good idea. Time for a trip to WHSMITHS.

Keep the images coming WH. I think they look really good.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you, again. I think the gal from the Midwest who I pointed to used that technique. I'll have to shave my eraser to a point, and try that. I've tried using white crayon, and liquid paper, with variable unsatisfactory results. I also need to take more time, but that will have to wait for warmer weather. I dropped in to Canadian Tire just before Christmas, and bought a light to use on my easel. Later on, I'll buy the wood and make up something. That's just how I work...

Hi WH.

I made a small easel out of an old bushnell tripod,with 20x20 soft 3ply.

I also enjoy using white+gray pastel pencils on black card,where you can get some nice smudge technique.

kneadable erasers are good also as you can mould them to a nice point.

keep at it mate.

Mick

Archived