Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do I really need another eyepiece?

Stormwatch

I've been planning on getting an 8mm TMB eyepiece to replace the 5mm one I sold to Tom (albireo380) for use in my C8-SCT. I've also been looking around at other eyepiece types and focal lengths etc to see what's available in higher power focal lengths.

But I'm not really sure I should bother. Here's why:

I have Meade 2X and 3X Barlows to go with these 1.25" EPs:

William Optics SWAN 20mm (2X 10mm, 3X 6.7mm)

Celestron Plossl 15mm (2X 7.5mm, 3X 5mm)

Revelation Plossl 12mm (2X 6mm) on it's way!

Astronomica SWA 10mm (2X 5mm)

Celestron Plossl 6mm

Looking at that list, I have a pretty good range of usable magnifications:

100, 133, 166, 200, 266, 298, 333 and maybe on a good night, 400!

Should I really spend more cash on a TMB 8mm, Meade 5000 or TV Plossl? I know my EPs aren't particularly expensive or "sexy"! But my scope is apparently very forgiving.

Any ideas? What would YOU do?

EDIT- I also have a Meade 40mm and a couple of 2" EPs (26mm and 15mm).

I would get an ep to give you something in the x40 or x50mag. You seem to have a good range on everything from 100 upwards

I have 5,6,9,10,15,20,25 and 40mm ep's which gives me 30,48,60,80,96,120,133,200,240,266,400 and 480 mag with x2 barlow,i have a x3 but only use it for planetary viewing.

Afew of these ep's are rather carp so i'm in the process of upgrading them to Orion Stratus 68's,and Orion Q70 super -wides,i order one now and again so the financial advisor(wife)doesn't notice to much,a couple more to get yet.

Sorry, I didn't include my other EPs in that post because I was specifically wondering about higher powers.

I also have 2" 26mm and 15mm EPs, along with a Meade 4000 40mm!

There's a similar FOV calcultor with Starry Night Pro.Its guite interesting(god i sound like steve davis)to see what ep gives what field of view with your scope or to check out a future purchase,i've been looking at skywatcher short tube refractor as a finder scope,the 102mm one gives superb widefield views,or should i say the field of view looks big on Starry Night :wink: have to make that purchase soon i think,Winter is closing in after all :D

I settled my ep kit by looking at the eps that I actually use a lot. I was using mostly my 24mm and my 7.5mm, and very little else. Now that I have the 4.3mm I use it quite a bit on the Moon and planets. Most of the other 9 eps that I had sat in the box. So, I'm going to sell them off.

The maths told me that I needed a 17or 18mm ep, but I am quite sure that I wouldn't use it, even though there is an apparent gap between 12 and 24 in my kit.

I'd suggest you consider whether you are actually likely to use more eyepieces. A very experience astronomer that I know has two very high quality eyepieces, and a barlow, and does all his observing with those.

Archived