SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help me decide - 1100d or 550d ?

kirkster501

Going to pull the trigger on one of these. Sssoooooooo confused !

Almost bought the 1100d but then I read it does not support "mirror flip" ? Steve's book mentioned this is a most important feature....

But I also read in other places that the greater pixel density on the 550d whilst great for normal photography can actually be a hindrance in AP.

So 1100d is my much preffered since it gets rave reviews for its price but I can stretch to the 550d if needs be. I would rather save the extra if I can to put towards other bits. Prime use for this camera is AP but I will be using it for normal as well. This camera is to get me going on AP and will not be modded. I will buy a CCD later - in a year or so.

I WILL be using a laptop for AP if that makes a difference.

Please experts, help put me out of my misery ! :)

Steve

Yes, one of the most important features you would want a DSLR to have is live view. I've been using a 450D for quite a while now and am very happy with it. there's small piece of software that allows you to fully control the camera and record a video. 450D is cheaper but 550D gives you a better range of ISO. 450D has from ISO 100 to 1,200, whereas 550D has got 100 to 6,400. bth can be connected to a laptop for remotely control, focus and shoot. And of course, with 550D you get the massive 18 mega pixel sensor.

Overall, if I were to buy a DSLR now, I would go for 550D.

Best of luck,

Naeim

Mirror flip only becomes an issue with shortish exposures, and that will depend how the camera is mounted. If your mounting is flimsy then vibrations will last longer. If your shooting with exposures longer than about 5 seconds I wouldn't worry about mirror flip.

I have gone for a 1100d and playing with it now - its grand :) I couldn't justify the extra cost of the 550d, especially since I'll be getting a CCD later. The 1100d is enough to get me going at a decent level to learn the ropes as it were. At this game there is always something slightly better to buy and sometimes we just have to say enough and buy what we need that'll do the job.

Thanks for answering my questions on this the last few threads :)

Why not get two 1100d's and mod one for pure astro work, then you will have the best of both worlds, as modding the camera will give you way better results, other option is the eos 650da which is most likely beyond your price range, if it has to be just one camera though I would get the 550d.

My plan is to get experience with DSLR's in general and AP particularly before spending a fortune. I have never owned or used a DSLR before. Then I might convert this DSLR to astro and buy a higher spec DSLR model for general use. All I can say of the 1100d is wow, its quite advanced enough for a newbie like me ! :) More than enough to learn. I got it connected to APT and boy, how complex !

So far I am very pleased and think I made a choice commensurate with my newbie photographic level.

Don't get involved with DSLRs at all. Go straight in with a CCD like an Atik with a Sony chip. There is no comparison. I have, in the past, refrained from saying this but a guest recently expressed exactly this view so I have decided to 'come out of the closet' and join him!!

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=1793644788&k=r8HTK72

I had exactly the same dilemma a few months back, but I went with the 550D for the greater pixels and the larger LCD screen. The live view (available on both models) allows for much easier focussing. Just switch to live view, zoom in to x10 and manually focus. It is so easy compared to my old EOS 300D. You are lucky to enter the hobby at a time when this technology is included on the basic models. I begin to wish I had got a 1100D and spent the extra on a top quality wide angle lens. The 18-55mm kit lens is already showing it's limitations.

Refurbished 1100D's range from £200 no lens to £265 with the kit zoom, Liveview will shows Star right down to 9 Mag, but you need to be close to the focus point or they just don't show, brighter Star are really easy, if you put in in Liveview and then press the shutter button its vibration free as the mirror is already up, i use one of these for multiply subs, long'ish exposures ect

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-Remote-Control-RS-60E3-Canon/dp/B003WD0IKO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344642270&sr=8-5

Archived