Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
stargazer1980

M13 First DSO

Ok well with huge thanks to grant for the Raw, bias and dark frames i have managed my first DSO M13, satcked and registered in DSS and processed in PS

Ok so its 30 secs of each and total of 4mins 30 secs @ iso 1600 i think

Comments welcome!

1217_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Nice one Darren!!! Great to see the end result!

The only thing I would say - at the levels stage, if you don't bring it down quite so much you won't get the burnt out center bits - its a bit of a balancing act though between bringing out the detail and not letting it get burnt out... Hopefully some others might have some tips they can share!

Bet you can't wait to get out there doing some capturing now!

Cheers,

Grant

great Darren , nice to see you getting started , and a pretty good one to start, it takes time getting things just right , but keep at it, you are doing fine

Rog :wink:

Ok well redone in photoshop on the advice of grant!

Which do you prefer

Heres original

1219_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

And here the new one

1220_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hope thats better! Comments welcome again!

Darren :wink:

I like this malarky! Very addictive isnt it!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm roll on money for new gear hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe (laughing like the devil)!

Thanks Rog

An excellent start. Even as this post develops you are making progress :thumbright:

I assume its a DSLR you are using. As a general rule longer (if you can) and more subs and lower ISO values - max I use is 800 ISO.

John

Ok i promise this is the last time i edit the pic so heres my final attempt! I think theres a little less noise in this on but managed to keep the stars real good (i think)

1222_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Good stuff mate and what progress in the course of the thread!!

I can see where you are going with the 3rd one, but the second is still the best for me. It might be that our monitors are set up different but the second has a better, (although noisier), background. Number three has the background too heavily clipped.

The second also holds onto the clusters star colours better. The second is the best for detail in the core,(not as burnt out).

Just wait till you are knocking out your own raw frames :wink:

Anthony

Drop the speed to ISO800, extend the exposure to 45-60 seconds, take a LOT more frames (30 minutes worth or more), and you`ll have a cracking image there

Darren, I will probably get shot for this, but miss out the bias, flat and dark frames until you need the last 10% of the image quality. this makes it a lot more fun (as in easier) to get going with the processing. You'll get something that looks really nice with a lot less hassle.

When you get your first stunner, thats the time do start doing it properly, like I might one day. :wink:

Kaptain Klevtsov