Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Introducing a frustrated newbie and his Heritage 130p from London

BrixtonAstronomer

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I'll certainly drop in on the Baker Street gang at their next meeting. I was actually about to give Blackheath another try yesterday but it clouded over as I was walking to the bus stop (thankfully it did it then rather than me travelling an hour to get there first).

Thanks for the suggestion of Richmond Park too - is that open and safe at night? I'll certainly give it a try.

I must say, when choosing my scope I was tied between the Skywatcher 127 mak and the Heritage and went for the latter because I thought goto would wreck all the fun of starhopping (and the fact that I got the same aperture for less than half the price). Now I realise why people like goto living in cities, it is so hard to star hop when you can't even see the major constellations. Although I suppose if I can learn to navigate with the handful of stars I can see from here, doing so from a dark site will be easy street in comparison.

Twice???!! You lucky so-and-so. I've had my 130p for over a month and only managed to use it once :sad:

Well done you for taking it around on the bus - that demonstrates committment over and above the call of duty. I take my hat off to you!

Welcome btw. I'm a newbie too, but it's nice and cosy here.

Managed to get my 130p heritage out for its first run last night myself (another sufferer from LP and weather in Sheffield), didn't get much done before the clouds rolled in again, but it appears I don't need to collaminate just yet, if my understanding of the description from TLOR is correct!

Probably more of a newbie than most if I'm honest and just spent a while tracking Vega (I think lol) and checking out the different eyepieces - it looked white and star like :)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome from another LP sufferer (from Islington). I've not tried the bus ride to the park thing - maybe Hampstead Heath might do. I have gone to Regents Park for the Baker St gatherings - big skies but lots of glare.

Hi Alastair (and everybody else),

I'm new to the site, well, not really, I've been browsing it for over a year looking for various answers.... but I only now decided to sign up. The reason is I'm quite desperate for a more flexible stargazing meet up. I've been attending the Regents park BSIA one a few times now and it's great! Problem is that the date is not flexible thus very dependent on the weather (the idea of a launching window of three days has been tried with some success, tonight doesn't seem to be one of those :(

I'm quite keen on meeting up in Hampstead Heath, East/South-East side, which is much closer and more familiar to me than Regents Park, and I believe that the hills in there do a better job than the trees in Regents park at sheltering from the glare of streets lights (with some limitations, of course).

So, let me know if you are interested and we could spread the call and gather a few people. A group of three or four people should be enough to guarantee some safety.

Cheers

Andy

hi brixton astronomer nice write up shame about your location with no car and all. but at least a bus ride takes you some wear safer. wait for the winter skys are genrally better and more reliable

• 2 weeks later...

Archived