Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomer

cstew

Hi all,

I found this site whilst I was looking for telescope reviews. I've always been interested in astronomy and all things related to space, as a child I used to occasionally (when the weather permitted) use my fathers hand built telescope to gaze at the moon and some of the brighter night sky objects. Now the time has come to treat myself to a nice modern telescope and play around with some tech and see what wonders of the solar system I can spot.

After quite a bit of searching and umming and arring I've decided to go for a skywatcher 200p dobsonian, seems to be the best for the money I have, I'm not looking to spend a fortune first time round, maybe in the future.

I have a couple of nearby "dark sky" spots in mind, the top of a local hill which is easily accessible by road and also the local moors, which are fairly remote and away from any major sources of light pollution. A little further afield, I might make a trip up into the Yorkshire dales where it should be as close to pitch black as possible.

So I'm looking forward to posting some images in the near future and picking up some tips and techniques from you guys.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcomes people.

Hello cstew and welcome to the SGL.

That's a good size scope to start with and still last a long time as you enjoy it.

I guessed I may as well buy something decent to start off, I can't see the point in spending say £150 on my first scope, only to be disappointed and then have to buy another, better one in 6 months.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Great choice of scope and will not let you down and will certainly help you straighten out the night sky when you visit those dark locations.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Archived