Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SX Superstar Mono + Baader Herschel Wedge - First-tests

zakky2k

Hi All,

Managed to get a few white-light shots of the sun with my new guider/planet cam, the Starlight Express Superstar this time using my trusty Baader Herchel wedge, following on from my tests of using the camera for LRGB imaging (http://stargazerslou...gb-first-tests/).

post-11345-0-74119700-1343935557_thumb.j

The above is straight JPG conversion of the FITS captured in Maxim.

(brightness/contrast stretched to the 'moon' preset)

Well, apart from the poor framing, the resticted field of view prevented me from getting the full disc in one shot, which I am normally able ot acheive with the combination of my DSLR and a televue 2x PowerMate.

Bit of a disapointment, but I have to say that I'm quite happy with the image quality.

Please find some processed samples below:

Below is the same single shot, just unsharp masked and 75% Orange photofilter in Photoshop:

post-11345-0-16812100-1343935620_thumb.j

Below is a stack of 10 (out of the best 100, out of 1000 shots), combined in Maxim. Still cant get the hang of stacking solar images, they always appear to be softer and give less detail, not sharper that many people seem to be able to acheive.

post-11345-0-71667900-1343935602_thumb.j

If anyone has got some hints and tips how to stack solar, I'd be very greatful!

All the best,

Zak

Archived