SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Hi there West Midlands Stargazers :o)

Astro_LJ

Are any of you near the Warwickshire/ West Midlands boundaries? I'm looking for some darker sites in my direction so that I can obtain better Deep Sky images. It would be super if I could find a safe, piece of land someone would give me permission to set my equipment on so that I can get some pics every now and then.

Hi LJ and welcome. There's a plugin thing for Google Earth which overlays colours onto the map showing the extent of the light polution around the country. It could be very useful for finding a much less light poluted area then turning off the overlay and looking what places are there which could possibly be used. I've got my eye on Clun just past Craven Arms, it's in the dark dark section which could be amazing for viewing, especially in a month or two when the skies get darker earlier. I can't find the link to the file for the LP overlay but I'll keep searching and post the link up... unless someone here knows what it is :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi LJ, I am right at the junction of warwickshire, worcestershire and the west midlands. I'm not sure exactly where you are but I often go to earlswood reservoir, the grounds of umberslade farm near ullenhall, also I don't know if you are aware of 'Sherwood's Photo' a telescope shop in Morton Bagot, Warwickshire, it's a bit of a jaunt for me but the skies around there are amazing! Oh and the garden of the black boy pub is pretty dark and convenient.

Mike

Have only used black boy 3 times, probably after 1am when I know it's going to be clear. Yes once you're out past umberslade into warwickshire then options are endless really, many quiet roads and fields with public footpaths, football pitches, rugby pitches etc. No we did not have permission at the black boy. It would be nice to have an easily accessible, relatively flat 'official' viewing spot. In reality tho, very few land owners are in the business of opening up their grounds overnight when they don't know exactly what is going on and they could be held legally responsible for anything that takes place. Will have a look next time I'm over that way, see if anywhere in particular stands out. I have heard rumour that some old disused WWII airfields are public land but never got very far looking into this.

Archived