Narrowband

Got my pic on sky at night disk yipeeee!

Quatermass

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really must pay more attention had this months copy of sky at night mag sitting upstairs for a while and decided to play the disk then noticed they had published my picture of the Iris Nebula, well chuffed :grin:

Big Congrats Mark.

So what feels better to be published in Sky at Night Magazine ? or Smash Hits ?

(Yes I've seen your Flickr Stream, Awesome Cartoons in there)

Thanks Badgers

Lol yes those cartoons I did for Smash Hits mag back in the 80s were a lot of fun to do, I used to work in Carnaby street in there little office it was cool being a punk cartoonist :grin: Now I am 53 years old I still do a few cartoons, but just lately really getting into making scale model aircraft. Just finished an A-10 Warthog. It passes the time while waiting for all this cloud to go away.

Yes that was done unguided with the 200p and Eq5 with dual axis motors :D

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Just a quick question about your equipment - im looking into buying the sw 200p and eq5 pro mount as my second telescope. Ive been into astronomy for about a year now and am keen on astrophotography; as you've clearly demonstrated with this photo, this equipment can produce excellent results. Was just wandering what your set up was for taking images of dso's - is a computer and corresponding software needed to track such objects, or does the telescope automatically track the objects once its found them, without computer aid?

Regards and congrats, Bill.

I get asked quiet a few questions about the gear I use but its not that complicated. I use the Skywatcher 200p with an EQ5 mount fitted with the dual axis motor kit. My camera is a second hand Canon 350d I got of flea bay for about 130 quid. I took out the filter myself took about 4 hours of fiddly work but not that hard to do. I sometimes use my laptop and backyard eos with this set up to achieve good focus and other handy things it has but I can do all my images with out it if I choose to buy using my bahtinov mask for focus only and a simple remote control for the camera.

key point that I have learned along the way are choosing a good dark site and a good night to image on dark skies make a big difference to the quality of your images so don't underestimate them. Secondly make sure you get the best focus you can get before you start or you can waste alot of time taking images that are out of focus, even just a bit is not good enough focus must be sharp and crisp before you start your main imaging session. Third point would be the amount of dark's and flats and bias shots and your processing skills. I tend to average about 80 main shots and combine that with 60 dark's flats and bias shots after that the rest is down to how much time you want to spend learning the dark art of processing your data this is an area you need to spend a lot of time on. Processing is personal in many ways you learn a lot of methods as you progress with your imaging but putting them all together and finding your own style takes time. Apart from all that and being willing to spend hours and hours outside in all kinds of weather for 2 years or more that's about all you need. Oh yes and did I mention an endless amount of patience. :grin:

My blog covers all I have done and has a lot of help for people just starting out. Hope you all get some clear skies and continue to enjoy sharing your work on SGL the true source of all my inspirations. :smiley:

Archived