Narrowband

Replacement Focuser Lunt L60

I recently bought my Lunt, but didn't want to stretch to the FeatherTouch focuser, which, to be honest, is probably overkill for what only ever carry the blocking filter and DMK camera.

I have found that the Baader Steeltrack 2" Newtonian focuser fits perfectly. The quality of this focuser is certainly up there with the Moonlite (I have a Moonlite on my Equinox refractor) and as it has the same machined dovetail as the Lunt/GSO item it fits without the need for an adapter).

The focuser is a little shorter than the standard one, you end up losing about 15 mm. However the BF has a very long tube, so getting focus wont be an issue.

This is the one that you want:

https://www.teleskop...de-Newtons.html

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

• Like 1

That looks perfect - just what I've been looking for. Was it easy enough to fit? :)

It takes seconds. There's three tiny grubscrews holding the focuser on. Get a small Allan key, back those off and whip the old one out (hold on to it as it has a habit of falling out as soon as the second screw is touched). Easy peasy.

The standard focuser can be improved by tweaking the tension grubscres. Look under the standard focuser- theres a silver cross-head screw holding the focuser shaft in. Just behind that is a small black grubscrew. This sets the tension of the focuser shaft, which if tweaked, will improve the stifness of the focuser.

What's not good about the standard focuser, thinking about getting an l60 too- does it slip readily?

It's quite flimsy, especially for a £2K scope. When the focus lock is tightened it moves the draw-tube. i wouldn't like to try and hang a DSLR off of it....a webcam or planetary camera is OK though.

It can be improved...see here: http://polluxchung.com/gso_crayford_fix/index.html

I wish that they would offer an option not to buy any focuser with scopes. It might only knock £30-40 off the price, but even so, there's only so many crappy standard focusers that I have drawer room for!

Thanks, that's good news. I am looking at the Lunt but didn't want to commit to the more expensive focuses if the stock one would do.

Being able to upgrade later if necessary with a good but cheaper Steeltrack is perfect.

This is brilliant information. Many thanks. My own Lunt focuser is useless. I cannot get the slow motion knob to work at all, now, and as Zak says the Feathertouch is total overkill on this instrument.

Again, thanks.

Olly

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

This is a very old topic , but someone could confirm that the new Steeltrack also fits on the Lunt 60.

I would like to upgrade my focusser also and I can not find any recent reference to that.

any help will be appreciated. 

maybe someone with this Lunt 60 could help me. 

My Lunt is in a remote location and I try to save one trip :D I don't have easy access to.

Please could you measure the size of the diameter of the focuser ring? I try to figure out if is possible to fit one new Diamond, the diameter of Diamond is 88mm

spacer.png