Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Been ages, absolutely ages. A Quick M27

Catanonia

Jeez, been nearly 3 months since I have had the chance to take a picture what with the weather and personal issues with work, retail park being planned behind my house and action committee I have formed. Jeez Politics is not fun at all with local councils.

QHY9 is still playing up and colimation on the F2.8 SuperNewt had to be re-done.

Also found out that the QHY9 sensor wasn't square to the optical train, about 0.5mm out on one side. Doesn't show on F7.5 but on F2.8, well definately shows and causes what looks like colimation issues, but turned out to be focus differences across the image.

Still having problems with flats and wierd gradients, but been so long I haven't nailed down all of the fixes. I just wanted to get an image.

So on the TS SuperNewt F2.8 8incher with QHY9 mono LRGB

40 mins per RGB in 2.5 min subs x2 bin

80Mins L in 5m subs unbinned

M27 and loads and loads of stars.

Very very rough image gaining and setup and processing is even more rushed. A bit blue

post-3977-0-25482500-1343774613_thumb.jp

Also found out that the QHY9 sensor wasn't square to the optical train, about 0.5mm out on one side. Doesn't show on F7.5 but on F2.8, well definately shows and causes what looks like colimation issues, but turned out to be focus differences across the image.

I remembered you had a thread on this a while back, to which I contributed: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/128119-colimation-issues-or-not-this-happens-everytime/page__hl__%20qhy8

Since then we've been moving house and my kit has been in storage and haven't been able to do any imaging for ages, so haven't had chance to check if the tweaks I made to my QHY8 have completely solved the orthogonality issues that I was having. In the meantime I came across this bit of kit from Gerd Neumann: http://www.gerdneumann.net/english/astrofotografie-parts-astrophotography/ctu-camera-tilting-unit.html If I'm still having problems I might invest in one. It looks similar to the Optec Equuleus device but a lot cheaper.

I remembered you had a thread on this a while back, to which I contributed: http://stargazerslou...page__hl__ qhy8

Since then we've been moving house and my kit has been in storage and haven't been able to do any imaging for ages, so haven't had chance to check if the tweaks I made to my QHY8 have completely solved the orthogonality issues that I was having. In the meantime I came across this bit of kit from Gerd Neumann: http://www.gerdneuma...lting-unit.html If I'm still having problems I might invest in one. It looks similar to the Optec Equuleus device but a lot cheaper.

Ah not seen that post, very useful bit of kit.

I am currently testing out a washer under one of the cover screws on my QHY9 mono. I now have an average variance of 0.1 mm instead of 0.5mm

Nice image Cat, I know what you mean about lack of imaging time. I've only managed 2 nights over the past 4 months or so myself.

A retail park behind you, just what you want ! I think I know where it looks like getting built, why can't they just turn that area into a park or something instead?

No doubt the retail park outside town will be sponsored by the dereliction of the inside-town retail sites. You KNOW it makes sense. You don't? Well you're not a town councillor then. I think you need to reach their level of obescity before you can understand the true profundity of their minds. We had the same baloney in Sutton In Ashfield. Sickening.

However, M27 is a much more interesting subject! WIth your fast Newt I'd highly recommend a good dose of Ha and O111 for the halo. In my own processing of this target I also played with a separate stretch to keep the field stars smaller. SInce the target is localized this is pretty simple.

Welcome back and have fun.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived