SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

In for eye opration on Thursday

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I'm concerned, the season starts when the clouds clear - so hopefully you will be ready for November.

I'm so glad the operation went well and here's hoping for some floater-free viewing soon.

Meanwhile, I suppose a trip to specsavers is on the cards.

I'll have a couple of sherbets down the pub tonight to celebrate your recovery :grin:

Turns out the recovery from my eye op is going to take a lot longer than firt thought.

Having pretty much taken my eye apart and put it back together again I am still in alot of discomfort nearly a week after I had the op and still can't see anything. Just blurred shapes. Replaced the lens with a false one. Had retinal tears lasered off. Had floater taken out and sillicone oil put into my eyeball, which incidentally has to be taken out at some point, so there will be another op to take that out. Hope it is worth it in the end. Once again sorry for any typos, but I am typing this using my other eye which incidentally is lazy, so currently I have the grand total of about 30% vision. And to cap it all I have only had one opportunity to use my new scope as well. At least it is there now waiting for me when I recover.

Indeed. I hope your patience pays off and everything goes well.

Just got back from my own appointment at the hospital to have my eyes checked. Fortunately they decided that the reason they have high readings for the pressure inside my eyeballs is that my corneas are at the high end of the usual range for thickness and the optician's instruments are calibrated for the middle of the range, which meant the readings for my eyes were artificially high. So, I have the all-clear, healthy eyes, no increased pressure and no unusual risk of glaucoma. Which is all a bit of a relief, really.

James

Thats great news James. Very pleased that you are ok. You only really realise how much you depend on a sense until it is taken away. Fortunately my eyesight will return, but right now it is a colossal struggle.

I must admit that I'd probably been ignoring the potential outcomes of today, partly in the hope it would be nothing serious and partly on the grounds that I couldn't do anything until I knew more anyhow, but having been given the all-clear I think it's now obvious that I was more stressed about it than I realised.

James

Blimey Malc, sounds like you had a lot done! It's easy for me to say don't get frustrated and take it easy, but go with the flow and when you're eye is better you'll be off and away and all this will be behind you. Your scope and the sky aren't going anywhere and patiently await you. All the very best of luck.

XXX

Hey Astrosurf,

Yeah they had to do a lot. What started out as a standard floater removal (Vicrectomy) ended up with all of that. The Vitreous gel in my eyeball was very sticky and was difficult to remove. Which in tun caused a few retinal tears which they had to repair with a laser then filled my eyeball with sillicone oil to aid the healing process. That will need removing in a few months. Then they will be able to put the air bubble in my eye that they were supposed to do originally. Once that is in, over the course of a couple of weeks the air bubble will be slowly absorbed and replaced by my eyes own fluids. Amazing what they can do these days. Although it is par for the course for me as I have had more operations and hospital visits for various reasons over the past few years than you can shake a stick at.

• 1 month later...

Hey Malc, how the is the eye now? I had laser eye surgery just over a week ago to correct them so now I can see fine without glasses. I had a quick look on a clear night one evening last week and to me I could see stars I wouldn't of been able to before surgery with the naked eye...whether this is just my mind playing tricks on me or not I don't know but I can't wait to look through my scope to see what if any difference it has made! I wish you well with your recovery :laugh:

Archived