Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What software do you run on your Netbook?

Star Gazer

I'm looking to get a netbook to run AstroArt or Maxim DL for image capture using my DSLR (I already use BackyardEOS, but will use AA or Maxim with my DSLR as I gear up towards a mono CCD). Later I will use it to run PEMpro and guide my mount through PHD and the ASCOM driver. Do you think I am being too ambitious with a Netbook here? Would this overload the limited multitasking capabilities of a netbook? Also it would help me to run Stellarium from time-to-time, but I'm not sure of the graphics capabilities and whether I should be looking for a particular feature.

It would be really great if people using a Netbook could list the RAM, Processor, graphics specs, they are using and what software they run on it. If they could indicate which software they run simultaneously that would awesome?

Thanks

Tim

IBM Lenovo X100, 1GB

Simultaneously: Cartes du Ciel, EQMOD, MaximDL (Atik16HR & QHY5 guiding),PHD (occasionally) ,Deepskystacker (for checking subs),SXfilter wheel (before Maxim grabs it), Firefox.

I've also run Stellarium and Photoshop 7 at the same time.

I also only run 1 active USB lead back to a 7 port hub, so all this is running down the 1 lead. I only bother powering the hub if I'm using the filter wheel.

Hi Stephen, Simon,

Thanks for your replies. It seems netbooks are more capable than I thought. I was thinking they were a bit of a one trick pony at least with respect to multitasking, but it appears I am wrong.

Tim

I used to use a Samsung NB30 with Intel Atom N450 CPU @1.66 GHz , 2G RAM and Windows 7 (suspect it would be quicker if I was running XP).

Used it to run Atik Artimis for capture and Stellarium at the same time. For planetary capture (using SharpCap or EZPlanetary or FireCapture) I wouldn't run anything else though...

I now use an older laptop for imaging running Artemis and PHD at the same time with Stellarium running sometimes too - it's actually a similar spec to the netbook.

Archived