Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7635 - trying to beat the Moon!

steppenwolf

This image of the Bubble Nebula was taken through my 10" Newtonian Reflector and Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9C CCD camera, autoguided. I was battling both the mist and the rising Moon to get it but it was just so nice to be in with a chance of an image after the poor skies of the last fortnight!

The Moon finally won at 00.45 after I had taken a total of 32 subs of 200 seconds each giving a total exposure time of 1 hour 46 minutes. The conditions were pretty dire and the Moon was lightening the later images at an alarming rate but I had a great time!

ngc7365_030907_combine_1.jpg

Yup as you say, great minds Steve, well thats a nice capture and close in image , yes that pesky moon is taking the fine detail out somewhat , even more so for you guys with the one shot colour.

Do you know Steve ,i still cant make my mind up to get a one shot or not , i have ordered one , but still thinking.

Rog

Anyway , very nice image , nice tracking /guiding

I agonised over this when I bought mine. Ian King, poor bloke, had to put up with my indecision for several days as he knew I wanted a single shot and I knew he felt a mono and filters would be better. The 'technical' arguments in favour of mono + filters are hardly in dispute but in the 'real world' of the fickle UK skies, the single shot won for me in the end and I have never regretted that decision as it removes three layers of possible frustration if the clouds move in during an imaging session! Ironically, I then got some great satisfaction from my recent 'mono' Ha images of the NA and Pelican nebulae taken with the single shot CCD!

I like that Steve, in fact I like it a lot!!

Difficult conditions or not, you have achieved a very pleasing result.

BTW, my thinking on OSC or LRGB, is pretty much the same as yours.

I went from OSC (MX7C) to mono (converted MX7C), a filter wheel, and set of good RGB filters (Astronomik).

Technically it is a better method, as the emphasis can be concentrated on the L frame, with RGB at 2x2 if necessary.

However, it was just too time consuming, given as you say, the limited number of clear night opportunities we get in the UK.

So, I went 'full circle' and went back to an OSC camera (H9C).

Dave

Thanks for your encouragement again folks and thank you Roger for the re-work with reduced stars. Roger and I had a very interesting chat about DDP processing a couple of nights back and I will be applying the process to this image when I find the time!

I would sell my soul for one of those cameras, unfortunately if I spent anymore my Mrs would remove parts of my anatomy.

Jonifive, this sort of removal is best avoided methinks. My CCD came at a very high price indeed but it was a fitting way of remembering my mother who died last year and left me a gift to spend as I saw fit - as she introduced me to photography as a child and was a brilliant photographer herself, this seemed a great way to be reminded of her and so it has proved to be .....

Archived