Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Bob Andersson

M31 - First attempt

Hi folks,

The earlier image was a "first attempt" not only at capturing M31 but also at processing the data. With the benefit of both feedback (thank you) and a little more thought I've tweaked the processing so here's the result:

M31_Final_1024_v1.jpg
M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy

If you click the image you can view a 2048 x 2048 pixel version. For the new version I've restored the fainter outer parts of the disk (should never have got excluded - finger trouble with a curve, I'm afraid) and removed the magenta cast at the core. I've also boosted the micro-contrast in the 1024 x 1024 pixel image above (but not the 2048 x 2048 pixel version) on the assumption that it will be viewed from a distance sufficient to preclude pixel peeping! :laugh: A few other tweaks, of course, but those are the headline changes.

Bob.

Edited by Bob Andersson

A massive improvement! I had noticed that your RGB version seemed to have much sharper detail than you finished image, but now you've maintained all that nice detailed structure. Top class!

Great result with the extra tweaks Bob, one of the best M31's I've seen from an amateur.

Hi Bob that is an amazing image one of the best I'v ever seen :icon_salut:

WOW!! this really is a stunning image Bob, you've clearly applied the skills of an airline pilot to imaging!:)

Two professions where you feel the need to continually comment on the weather? ;)

Wonderful image - great work :)

When Michaelangelo was an apprentice, one of his tutors looked at a small cherub he had completed on a fresco, then silently went outside and snapped his brushes, never to paint again.

I have no brushes, but metaphorically speaking I may be in that territory myself!

If that truly is your 1st attempt, truly awesome!

Typed by me, using fumms...

Fantastic photo! It`s stunning..

As I came into this thread, I thought ok, I suppose this will be another run of the mill Andromeda looking the same as all the others. But this is a stunner!

Well done! I must try my own version of this now that I have all the filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. The subject matter is the star of the show and this evening while looking at the Moon I reminded myself that one could fit about 16 full Moons in the frame above. Such a shame that Andromeda can't be seen in its full glory with the naked eye!

Bob.

Look at all of them stars!! :grin:

Great job and fantastic first attempt. Not looking forward to my first imaging session.

Rob.

:eek: enough said.....

Not only super, but unguided @ 1,500secs!!!!!!!

Fay

Is it at all possible to get the images back in this thread? I saw this one a while back and these were some of the most amazing images of M31 I've ever seen. I'd hate to see them lost for good!