Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 20mm 100° Series

lardy

The 20mm is a superb eyepiece.My mate is bringing his Ethos's to our next observing session so im going to do my own comparison , the 14mm es v 13mm ethos and 9mm es v 8mm ethos .The only issue would be my scope is F5.3 i think you would need a F4 to really test the ES eyepieces ( i know the ethos would perform fine ).

....The only issue would be my scope is F5.3 i think you would need a F4 to really test the ES eyepieces ( i know the ethos would perform fine ).

Thats a good point Matt - it's when scopes get faster than F/5 that the differences are likely to show. The results of your testing will still be very interesting - things like light scatter control around bright objects and light transmission on faint objects are interesting to compare.

Should be an interesting test. Is there no one near by with a faster scope that can take part. I wouls have thought with such a collection of quality glass, someone would be happy to travel.

Alan.

There is one person but his focuser isnt up to the job :grin:.It will be intresting just to see how they compare to begin with i have a sneaky feeling the ethos might pip the es but i wont be downhearted their still very good eyepieces.

That WOW experience can really impact you. At a star party a year ago, another fellow observer placed an ES 100 degree in my scope. That did me in. Subsequently, I ended up with 2 ethos EPs (10 & 21) and the ES 14. I ended up having to change from my Meade 5000 diagnonal to the Tele Vue everbright because the 5000 will loosen because of the weight of the heavier EPs. ONE WOW VIEW CAN ALTER YOU LIFE AND POCKET!

I haven't even looked through one and I've developed a lust for the 20mm. Every day its, "No. I don't need it..." " Yes I do," " I don't need it, but imagine the views.." It's killing me.

I know I'll succomb, I have a history of it.

Bart

I haven't even looked through one and I've developed a lust for the 20mm. Every day its, "No. I don't need it..." " Yes I do," " I don't need it, but imagine the views.." It's killing me.

Bart

Don't fight the inevitable Barry, but beware, the 100 degree fov is almost as addictive as crack cocaine :evil:

I had first light with my 10" f/4.7 dob last night (optics from a 250PX) and I'm already trying to work out how I can justify buying some nice wide eyepieces. My BGOs gave lovely crisp views, but the field of view is just too small.

James

Bart

Nah, the 20mm 100deg wouldn't be worth it... it'd only be a bit over twice the area of sky that your 68deg gives :D

Nah, the 20mm 100deg wouldn't be worth it... it'd only be a bit over twice the area of sky that your 68deg gives :D

STOP!!

lardy - This is the problem. So far I haven't been nabbed for VAT etc on importing, and if I got lucky again, I could have the 20mm 100* for about €360 !! or £284. Its crazy. I keep telling myself the ES 18mm 82* would do, as I'm sure it would, but I've read the 18mm has a quoted eye relief of 13mm and some state it feels less than that, which I'm sure is not a great thing when you're trying to absorb an 82* view.

Bart

I have to agree. I have the 9, 14 and 20mm and the 20mm is definitely my favorite on most targets. The contrast in these are superb.

Thats it.... must convince my wife this would be my perfect birthday/christmas/easter/St Patricks day/fathers day etc present. As the girls often say when making a purchase like this, 'I got it at half price', neatly avoiding stating it cost $400

Subliminal messages..CHECK!

Here we go!

Archived