SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What low/medium power eyepiece?

russ

Thought this would start a nice discussion but i also need some comments.

Pick up the OO 12" f4 on Thursday and will need a low/medium power eyepiece. It will need to be of superb quality to cope with the f4 system. So i've been trawling the web for new and old. Come up with a short list:

Vixen Lanthanum LVW 22mm - spoke to OO and got a pretty biased view :? - £199 new

Meade Series 5000 UWA 18mm - getting some varying reviews, so not sure - £206 new

Pentax XL 21mm - People seem to really love this eyepiece - £110 SH from Astromart

Televue Panoptic 22mm - another eyepiece people love - £160 SH or £249 new

Baader Hyperion 21mm - had this before. Worked well in the f9, less so in the f5. So f4 could be asking too much - £75

Any others? Naglers seem too much SH let alone new. The new Pentax XW's are also too pricey new and rare SH. One other criteria, has to be 1.25". I want something i can barlow as i won't be able to afford any other eyepieces for a while. :wink:

Russ

hmm okay well that's decided that then. Wasn't expecting the Astromart guy to come back with a yes to sending to the UK but he has :wink::D:lol::grin::D:grin::lol::D :D

So that's a Pentax XL 21mm boxed as new for £90 delivered. Little more than a Hyperion. Brace myself for the tax mind, which will be £18. But that's still little money, which according to the reviews, for a nice eyepiece. Should be a keeper.....hopefully :?

So excited i think i'll go have a cuppa and a few cookies to celebrate :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Russ

Glad your sorted mate. I've just spent some time searching for a good EP recomendation for a F4 system.

All I could come up with is "It seems you'll be needing a coma corrector".

Just going to nip out to the garage to look for your dovetail.

Ant

A friend of mine over here uses only two Pentax eps, and a barlow, and nothing else, to get fine views in his 6" f/8 dob. I've looked through it, and I can't get close with my 6" Newt, and some 8"ers I've looked through can't compete. I think you'll be happy.

who needs a second mortgage and possible divorce.

have to stop now or else i could have one of them. :?

I've heard that the documentation that Tele Vue includes with Naglers now covers marriage counselling :wink:

John

Archived