What accessories for first scope

Firstly thank you all for the great information provided in my other topics. After long and hard thinking i've decided to go for the Heritage 130p flextube dob instead of my initial choice due to size and portability and will just settle for a webcam for imaging for now.

Was just wondering if anyone knew any decent places to order the heritage atm? i.e good deals with extras or just cheap. Also what extra accessories would I need? So far am thinking a moon filter, webcam and barlows. But if anyone could recommend the best ones at a reasonable price and to fit the heritage that would be great. Also what filters would I need to view sun spots on a webcam?

Many thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan

Good choice of scope. Great scope. I love mine.

I, like many people here deal with First Light Optics-FLO. They are the sponsors of this form (see the FLO logo at the top of the page).

At the moment they are selling the Heritage for £135: (its about £10 cheaper than other sellers i have seen)

http://www.firstligh...p-flextube.html

Regarding filters............................

In all honestly you do not need a Moon filter. It (the Moon)is not going to blind you and you get used to its brightness. You MAY want to buy a Skywatcher Light Pollution filter (SWLPF) for about £30. I think it works really well.

Regarding solar filters.......................i really can not give any guidence on this simply because of the design of the Heritage and i am not sure how to go about fitting one to the open truss design of the scope. However the Baader Solar Film is the most popular and is tried and tested to the umpth and is 100% SAFE. I'm just not sure how or if it can be constructed to fit the Heritage.

Also webcams i am not familiar with so cant say anything about those.

Other people will be able to help you on those issues.

Regardinf a good barlow.............the best "cheap" one is the TAL 2x,3x..............but good luck to you finding one available. They literally are like gold dust. I think they have been discontinued.............so keep an eye on the second hand market for one.

Paul

Really going to upset some but the Heritage is a small table top scope that is unstable, it is not even on a mount in reality as you need a table to use it, you are not going to put it on the ground as then you would have to kneel to look into it, I read that the "big" thing is that it has the names of famous astronomers written around the tube bit. Since when does that aid visual observing ? You can look through it and will see a fair range of things, but in reality imaging is not something that it can do.

If you want to image the moon, which is at least bright, you can use a DSLR and whatever telephoto lens that it came with or that has been purchased since. Something like 1/250 should get a shot of the moon.

For planets you need to take an avi and that really needs tracking.

The dobsonian was produced as an inexpensive mount that enabled the purchaser to get the bigest mirror therefore for a set amount of money. A dobsonian at times gets heralded as the answer to everyting astronomical - it isn't.

If imaging is what DH2001 wants then the start point is the mount. Ignoring size the "ideal" is a driven equitorial, next comes a driven Alt/Az. If it isn't driven then it doesn't do imaging. So if imaging it the intention select the mount, then the scope.

One other point to note is that there are 4 planets to possibly image.

Venus is completely cloud covered so all you get is a bright featureless mass, Mars is too small for the equipment here.

So that leaves Jupiter and Saturn, Saturn is pretty small also.

That is the planets other then the moon.

Moon Filter: You shouldn't need it, the Moon isn't really that bright even on a Full Moon.

Solar Filter: It's possible to make one, I've done it, but it's not neat because the top of the flextube is not circular, so you might have trouble...possible though.

Webcams: Yeah, you can try it, positioning can be awkward though.

Barlow: Could be useful, but not right away. Get to know the scope with it's Skywatcher MAs first :).

Oh and it's perfect on a chair. That's right, standard garden chair or seating, will put you at the perfect height whether you observe at the Zenith or near the horizon. You do not need a table.

Really going to upset some but the Heritage is a small table top scope that is unstable, it is not even on a mount in reality as you need a table to use it, you are not going to put it on the ground as then you would have to kneel to look into it,

I have to most strongly disagree with this comment.

As i have stated, i am in a wheelchair and i place the Heritage on the gound and use it from a seated position.

I really thing the "table-top" lable really needs to be taken off of this scope. It is 100% usable from a seated position.

Do you have a Heritage? Have you ever used one?

Really going to upset some but the Heritage is a small table top scope that is unstable, it is not even on a mount in reality as you need a table to use it, you are not going to put it on the ground as then you would have to kneel to look into it,

I have to most strongly disagree with this comment.

As i have stated, i am in a wheelchair and i place the Heritage on the gound and use it from a seated position.

I really thing the "table-top" lable really needs to be taken off of this scope. It is 100% usable from a seated position.

I wholeheartedly agree. I tried it on a table top, and the viewing position is slightly uncomfortable for me, seated is much nicer, and works 100%.

Regarding solar filters.......................i really can not give any guidence on this simply because of the design of the Heritage and i am not sure how to go about fitting one to the open truss design of the scope. However the Baader Solar Film is the most popular and is tried and tested to the umpth and is 100% SAFE. I'm just not sure how or if it can be constructed to fit the Heritage.

With a truss-tube or similar Dob it's important to thoroughly shroud it for solar observing. Unshrouded, if the scope is aimed slightly away from the Sun then light can come in off-axis and be concentrated. It will miss the secondary, but may damage the upper tube section or the solar filter. There was a thread about this happening to someone.

When I say imaging with a webcam, I am referring to just the moon, I am aware that I wouldn't be able to do any DSO stuff and i'm not really interested in imaging other planets because while they will be nice to see, I just don't think it's worth it with the quality they produce.

I've imaged the moon with a 250mm lens and DSLR plenty of times and they give ok snapshots, but they don't get you anywhere near close enough and the quality is only average. I'm not expecting much better quality images from the heritage, but atleast they will be a lot closer.

While I would love to get in to imaging, my circumstances are less than ideal. I live in an area with a lot of light pollution, so the best use of the scope would come from camping trips. Because of this I need something that is easily portable. So really it comes down to having a big scope I can rarely use and just look through it with lots of light pollution or have something that is not so good, but i'll be viewing in much better area's and be able to use it a lot more often. Surely a smaller scope in a good area would give better views than a slightly bigger scope with lots of light pollution?

Was always under the impression that moon filters, gave a darker image and allowed you to see more detail. Is this not the case?

Thanks,

Dan

When I say imaging with a webcam, I am referring to just the moon, I am aware that I wouldn't be able to do any DSO stuff and i'm not really interested in imaging other planets because while they will be nice to see, I just don't think it's worth it with the quality they produce.

I've imaged the moon with a 250mm lens and DSLR plenty of times and they give ok snapshots, but they don't get you anywhere near close enough and the quality is only average. I'm not expecting much better quality images from the heritage, but atleast they will be a lot closer.

While I would love to get in to imaging, my circumstances are less than ideal. I live in an area with a lot of light pollution, so the best use of the scope would come from camping trips. Because of this I need something that is easily portable. So really it comes down to having a big scope I can rarely use and just look through it with lots of light pollution or have something that is not so good, but i'll be viewing in much better area's and be able to use it a lot more often. Surely a smaller scope in a good area would give better views than a slightly bigger scope with lots of light pollution?

Was always under the impression that moon filters, gave a darker image and allowed you to see more detail. Is this not the case?

Thanks,

Dan

Moon filters mainly reduce the glare, which does make a difference in what you can see in larger apertures. However, I've found with the Heritage being fairly small, the Moon doesn't seem bright enough to need filtering in my opinion, although it might hamper your night vision. I've found it best to view the Moon either at the start of a session or at the end, at the start your eyes wont be dark adapted so it doesn't feel as bright, and at the end you won't need your dark adaption for more DSOs.

Objects like the Moon and planets (Venus, Jupiter and Saturn mainly) are easy to see even with heavy light pollution (I'm in one of those purple zones because I'm so close to the city, the second highest level of LP I think, highest being London). The Heritage will even let you see DSO's in light pollution, as long as you can take precautions to eliminate glare to let your eyes adapt.

Just be aware, the Heritage is fairly bulky, but is a brilliant scope and very easy to set up and use for quick sessions.

I would personally get the moon filter. Ive got 1. It cost a tenner and dulls the moon nicely so it doesnt hurt to look at.

The moon can be viewed without 1 but it is bright and I find can start to realy hurt to look at for long.

Also plan moon veiwing at the end of a seesion as your eyes will be screwed for a while after so no point hunting dso's.

Alternatively get a polarizing filter. It can take enough of the bite off the moon and may even help as light pollution filter. Obviousley not as good as dedicated filters but a good allrounder.

With a truss-tube or similar Dob it's important to thoroughly shroud it for solar observing. Unshrouded, if the scope is aimed slightly away from the Sun then light can come in off-axis and be concentrated. It will miss the secondary, but may damage the upper tube section or the solar filter. There was a thread about this happening to someone.

Ohhh good point. Yes of course the truss secion should be well shrouded. I was thinking more of where to place the solar filter. I guess you should cut it to shape and place it where the dust cap fits.

????

Ohhh good point. Yes of course the truss secion should be well shrouded. I was thinking more of where to place the solar filter. I guess you should cut it to shape and place it where the dust cap fits.

????

Once shrouded, I at least wrapped some 160 gsm paper card (3mm wide strips) around the top (with the finder scope removed) to get the shape making sure the card was flat, and then glued the card together, then kept building up the layers of card, then you can make a "lid" to it. It takes quite a lot of glue and paper card, and is often messy, but can look pretty good.

I get you. I wont be trying that. I had enough trouble trying to make a filter cell for a 90mm scope. I'm so bad at DIY that i wouldnt even be able to do a simple Blue Peter project without losing a finger or gluing myself to the floor.

Don't blame you. It's the odd shape that makes it difficult.

I suppose an easy option is to cut a hole in the dust cap and place a piece of solar film inside the dustcap. But then you'd need something to cover the hole you cut from the dustcap.

All roads on this project leads to loss of fingers or permenent attachment to the floor.

LOL.

Funnily enough. A couple of months ago i ordered a sheet of solar film from my local dealer. It never arrived. I wasnt charged for it either so that is ok.

I think this may be a case of divine intervention that the solar film never arrived.

Celestron Travelscope 70 is sub £50 and works fine with solar film (and hobbicraft circular box) to give your first solar views. It even fits on the heritage dob mount... Might be safer than "bodge it yourself" and a lot less stress too. And if you ever upgrade to a good 80mm frac (Evo pro or equinox for example) the filter will also fit them perfectly...

Just a thought.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi DH2001,

Hope things are well.

Not sure how far along the road to stargzing you are but would like to mention that even with no tracking and a dob mount planetary imaging - when done right - is possible on the heritage dob, and although my mount is an equatorial it isnt driven in any way and often not even polar aligned, but I'm getting pleasing results of Jupiter ATM, have also gotten a good mars shot with my £5 xbox webcam.

Hand tracking is a difficult method as the wobbles will create shaky avi.'s but there is software available (castrator - free) that remedies all kinds of issues caused by shaky webcam footage.

I have seen a seriously amazing pic of Jupiter taken recently by a bloke with a dob mount -

his 200p is same aperture as mine but with dob mounting - far better than anything I have managed with an EQ5.

Thing is to not be deterred coz people always find a way, might not be the best way every time but whatever gets the job done.

All the best

Aenima

PS if you do want to image DSO's the heritage will need to be added to with a EQ mounted new scope, but later on when you know more about what you want from astronomy.

Regardinf a good barlow.............the best "cheap" one is the TAL 2x,3x..............but good luck to you finding one available. They literally are like gold dust. I think they have been discontinued.............so keep an eye on the second hand market for one.

Paul

I've been looking for the tough-to-find TAL x2 Barlow and finally managed to track it down at Sherwoods. They've a few in stock but once they're gone, they're gone because TAL have discontinued them. Scroll down this page a bit: http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/sky_watcher/skywatcher_accs.htm.

Archived