Narrowband

celestron cgem dx set up query !!

Hi all, was hoping that someone can help me with a query i have with the dx mount. It says this in the manual (I copied and pasted it).....1 . Place the tripod mounting adapter over the top of the

tripod head .

2 . Rotate the adapter so that the holes line up with holes along

the side of the tripod head . Make sure the alignment peg is

over the tripod leg that you want to be facing north

when aligning.

my query is that the alignment peg comes screwed on to the tripod mounting adapter and when I align the holes , the peg is BETWEEN two of the tripod legs. You can unscrew this peg and place it in another provided hole but I just dont see why they supply the mount adapter with the peg bolted into the wrong hole...

post-14813-0-65295900-1343411081_thumb.j

It shows there pin over a leg but mine is not so do I move it or am I missing something?

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy,

I don't know why it is not supplied fitted in the correct hole but if it's easy enough to move then do so. I think the reason it's supposed to be fitted in the 'North facing' leg is a question of balance / centre of gravity.

I would expect on a mount costing this much that it wouldn't be too much to ask that everything was correct on purchase though.

Tom

I've just recieved my new CG5 mount the other day and my aligning peg was installed inbetween two of the legs. Someone suggested moving it so that the peg was next to one of the tripod legs so I have done it. It is meant to aid stability and to stop the tripod tipping over.

Thanks chaps. I have now moved the peg and this is loads better. This now means the counter weights sit over a leg and for alignment the front forward means the mount is pointing in the right direction for a rough alignment.phew was worried then...

Andy

My CGEM DX came exactly the same way - namely with the peg opposite a tripod leg rather than over it. The mount head also came packed upside down so it was impossible to remove it from the packaging in the way that the instructions say!

I too moved the peg to where it says in the manual but it does make you wonder if this is a manufacturing QA issue, if they are all like this, and if it really matters...

By the way Andy, do check that the saddle is very securely fixed to the mount. Two of the three hex bolts on mine were loose and I understand this is a common fault. I have also adjusted the worm mesh to try to eliminate some slop in the RA axis but I am gradually accumilating the bit and bobs I need for a DIY hypertune. Haven't quite acquired the confidence yet, though!

By the way Andy, do check that the saddle is very securely fixed to the mount. Two of the three hex bolts on mine were loose and I understand this is a common fault. I have also adjusted the worm mesh to try to eliminate some slop in the RA axis but I am gradually accumilating the bit and bobs I need for a DIY hypertune. Haven't quite acquired the confidence yet, though!

Thanks I did pm you with a problem I am having,The saddle is secure to the mount. I was told that this was the brand new uprated model as It is new so did not expect any problems. If you have time have a look at the pm and see what you think,

Thanks Andy

• 4 years later...

Archived