DSO EP help.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 30 Aero is a very good choice. It is a clone of the TMB Paragon I am told. I have the Paragon 40mm which is excellent in my C8 (and even in my F/6 scope, though the exit pupil is a bit wide, and the sky becomes a bit grey). The 30mm gives a 5mm exit pupil in your scope, which is just fine for a finder EP. The 69 deg FOV is really a great step up from 50-ish, I found. Move to 82 deg and that is another step up, but then that does not come cheap.

In my main scope (16" dob) the field of view is just over 1.1 degrees and I can honestly say I don't feel a need for a wider field for the vast majority of objects. I can fit in the cores of the three galaxies around M31, the double cluster pair, and all the main objects you can think of with the exception of things like the whole Pleiades, Beehive Cluster and some of the wider obscure open clusters. For these I use my 9x50 finder which always gives a wide and pleasing view.

I bought a really wide field scope and quickly got 'bored' (not really the right word, maybe unsatisfied) with the wider field view as I always wanted more magnification to get the objects framed 'better'.

My point is that you don't necessarily need a field of more than around 1-1.5 degrees so don't worry about it too much as you may lose some contrast and detail / ability to see fainter DSOs through larger exit pupils and the effects of light pollution.

My recommendation would be +1 for a used 24mm Panoptic.

In my main scope (16" dob) the field of view is just over 1.1 degrees and I can honestly say I don't feel a need for a wider field for the vast majority of objects. I can fit in the cores of the three galaxies around M31, the double cluster pair, and all the main objects you can think of with the exception of things like the whole Pleiades, Beehive Cluster and some of the wider obscure open clusters. For these I use my 9x50 finder which always gives a wide and pleasing view.

I bought a really wide field scope and quickly got 'bored' (not really the right word, maybe unsatisfied) with the wider field view as I always wanted more magnification to get the objects framed 'better'.

My point is that you don't necessarily need a field of more than around 1-1.5 degrees so don't worry about it too much as you may lose some contrast and detail / ability to see fainter DSOs through larger exit pupils and the effects of light pollution.

My recommendation would be +1 for a used 24mm Panoptic.

Good points, you got me learning some new sums there!

I just missed out on a used 24mm Panoptic before I bought the other EP's.

Still I'm happy with what I got for now.

Many thanks

Chris

Forget the Baader Hyperions, they don't work well in fast scopes, the Nirvana's would be much better, of course, TV's would be even better.

I considered the Hyperions, but for price point the BST's were excellent value.

It's very hard as a beginner to know what to purchase, as some dearer EP's can get as much mixed reviews, as some of the cheapest.

Thanks to the kind people on here I didn't over spend. I also found your guide to EP's very helpfull as well.

Many thanks.

Chris

I see you have the 8mm BST explorer, I use a 24mm BST for initial finding and viewing of the DSO's before imaging them. I find it a lot clearer and with better contrast than the 25mm SW that is supplied with the SW 200p.

The 24mm TV pan is a proper legend at 24mm but rather more expensive than the ES at 24mm. I was originally looking for the 24mm Pan but they come up for sale second hand rarely. My ES cost around £130 including customs tax and royal mail rip off - sorry I mean handling charge.

I've not gone longer than 24mm to try to stick with the 1.25 inch barrel as my filters are all 1.25 inch

I see you have the 8mm BST explorer, I use a 24mm BST for initial finding and viewing of the DSO's before imaging them. I find it a lot clearer and with better contrast than the 25mm SW that is supplied with the SW 200p.

I just last weekend done a side by side comparison with sw & Bst 25mm & would totally agree with you. The 25mm Bst seems to get a bad rep, but even with my little experience would recommend them to anybody wanting to upgrade their sw & also have a 60 degree FOV for the current cost of £41.

I'm totally impressed with the range, but not having the 5mm or really needing it, is the only one I can't comment on. But my guess would be if the user can manage the eye relief then it would be a worth while budget EP.

Many thanks

Chris

Archived