Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'L plate' question - what am I looking at?

Hi,

Thanks for looking at this. I'm muddling along with stacking widefield images taken with my bridge camera (Lumix Z38) and keep coming up against the same problems.

I have reasonable luck getting rid of light pollution with this guide so I have relatively dark skied images to stack. The problems set in once DSS has done its stuff and I keep ending up with blue-ish 'noise'. The attached image gives a clear idea of what I mean. The .tif that DSS outputs is pretty much the same, just bigger.

What is the bluey stuff? Can I get rid of it or is it something to do with how the photos are being taken/the camera?

I'm not expecting any great shakes but just get the hang of things before I upgrade my camera later in the year...

Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

post-17151-0-80408000-1343210069_thumb.j

Sorry for my ignorance...what is DSS?

DSS i think in this case means Deep Sky Stacker - a free tool used to 'stack' multiple subs in order to pull out the detail from the many tens, or even hundreds, of images you've taken with your DLSR to present a single highly detailed final image ready for post-processing in an imaging software such as PhotoShop or the like.

Well, I think I'm heading in the right direction thanks to your suggestion. Ive now got an enormous tif file that looks a bit like the attached image.

post-17151-0-91712000-1343258828_thumb.j

I *like* to think that the cloudiness if the Milky Way (which I was, as much as I could tell, pointing my camera at). Regardless, the blueyness is gone! Thanks :-)

(Now, the reddish tinge... I'll have a play with curves etc)

Archived