Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
blinky

Is this M15?

For the past few times I have been looking for M15 and keep finding this object, to me it looks like a Galaxy not a cluster, what do you guys think?

Also this is the first DSO image I have posted. It is only 5 frames stacked in Registax, forgot to take a dark frame :D Also my polar alignment was none too clever :wink:

Anyways your thoughts/comments are appreciated.

image.jpg

Just realised the image is 320X240 must have hit the wrong option :shock:

The pic is too small to be able to see any detaial but i can`t see anything resembling a neb in there,

And it looks as if you didn`t get the focus quite right too, that`s why all the stars are circles of light with dark centres,

You don`t say what equipment your using but try focusing on a bright star first and then move to the object you want to image,

If you don`t have goto try noting down the RA and DEC readings whilst pointing at your object then slew to a bright star to focus and then back to your original settings (it doesn`t matter if your RA/dec circles are set properly as long as you dont move them in between)

Once you`ve got the focus right you can mark the focus tube to make it easier in future.

Don`t get disheartened, Keep at it, Took me over 3 months to get a DSO image that was any good,

You know what they say "practise makes perfect"

HTH

Mike

Don`t know where i got the idea of M57 from but anyway looks like the "fuzzy blob" at about 11 oclock could be M15 so at least you got it!!!

... but i can`t see anything resembling the ring neb in there

err... isnt M15 a glob?

As mike says the image is too small and there are not enough reference points to determine the identity of the object.

If you had trained the scope to the right area of sky then it probably is M15.

Tried a rework in Photoshop but even with increased res' there isn't enough detail to work with.

CW

(Click to enlarge.)

See I was expecting to see something like the links posted by themos. I have seen a cluster before and it looked like them but this looks like a smaller M31 to me in the EP.

My setup...Well I use my 8"Newt to find the object and the image istaken with a ZS66 Piggy Backed on that with an sc1 webcam