Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC6960 Veil Nebula - 2012 version

Uranium235

Last night was incredibly clear, I havent seen it like that in ages :) The MW stood out so much I could start to make out some of the dark patches around Cygnus - not bad for a town centre(ish) location! Loads of stars out too, it reminded me SGL7 where there were so many stars it made it difficult to pick out the ones you know.

Anyway, this is the 2012 version of my Veil Nebula... well more of a v2.0 but with an upgrage in both Ha and OIII channels to bring down the noise, make the filaments sharper, and gather some more of that really weak Ha that is ahead of the shockwave. I found it a little difficult to keep one or two bits from whiteout in persuit of the wispy bits, but ive kept it to a minimum. The NEQ6 performed well once again, the only reason I had to get out of my armchair was to fiddle with the wireless network (very weak signal down the garden), and to check focus about an hour into the session. The focus didnt shift that much though as is was rather a warm night, no need for a jacket or hat either.

Ive done two versions, the synth green is the version im happiest with as I prefer that shade of Blue. But I have included the original "electric blue" version, if you compare this one to the one on the SGL calendar (2011 version), its a lot sharper... almost poke yer eye out sharp. :D

Probably, the only way forward on this one now is to do the rest of the complex, but that might be a job for next year by which time I will have my twin shooter to slurp it up in double quick time.

NGC6960: Veil Nebula (Witches Broom)

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+, NEQ6

30x600 Ha_R, 28x600 OIII_G&B

Setpoint: -10

Guiding: Excellent

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

Firstly, the synth green version:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=68189

Next, the original Ha/o3/o3 mix

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=68191

post-5513-0-86692100-1343149443_thumb.jp

post-5513-0-45412900-1343150193_thumb.jp

Lol it shows! Amazing image had my first go at this last night, unguided got some of the structure out but this is amazing really. Finding it hard to choose between the two so much too look at in there. If you are planning to do a mosaic of the whole Veil structure its going to be jaw dropping especially if this is the bar you have set!

If you are planning to do a mosaic of the whole Veil structure its going to be jaw dropping especially if this is the bar you have set!

I've already planned it in my mind as just below that and to the left is pickerings triangle. But at the moment there just isnt the darkness to do it all, staying up late the past couple of nights has knocked the stuffing out of me! But, I guess I'll be out for one final stint tonight before the clouds return, im going to try to grab M8 while its still around.

Very nice Rob. One of my favourite targets this.

Out of interest, have you tried combining those two images? Might be wrong but I get the feeling there'd be a nice shade of blue/turquoise in there.

Cheers

Tim

Very nice Rob. One of my favourite targets this.

Out of interest, have you tried combining those two images? Might be wrong but I get the feeling there'd be a nice shade of blue/turquoise in there.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim :)

I hadnt thought about combining both of them since the synth green version is basically the original thats had noels actions run on it. I will have a look later on once im set up and guiding to see if anything can be gained from it. Ive been trying a new trick (well, its new for me anyway!), of using noels actions to select all the stars, inverse the selection then do the sharpening and it wont affect the stars...... and it flamin worked! :)

These are gorgeous! I've got some subs of this that I need to work out how to process properly, so would you mind just explaining how you do the sharpening?

Thanks

Helen

No problem Helen :)

I wanted to treat it as if it were normal LRGB so I saved 2 copies of the stacked and aligned master, one colour, the other is monoised.

First I work on the mono (luminence) by doing standard levels and curves up to a point (where its not too noisy), sometimes at this point (and I did on this one) apply a high pass filter to another layer set to overlay. Anyway, the sharpening was done with noels actions/smart sharpening (PS) - first use the "select brighter stars" function, then goto the selection dropdown menu and select "inverse" - this then chooses everything except the stars. From there I used smart sharpen at a level of 90 and a radius of 0.9. From there its a teeny bit of NR to take off some of the noise introduced by the processing, it takes a little edge off what youve just done, but its still sharper than when you first started. Save it off, thats the luminence done.

The RGB master is treated in the same way that you would normally, stretch it and get the colour to your taste, a good dollop of NR then blend it with the luminence as colour, then a couple more tweaks. Job done :)

Cracking images again Rob, even better! You've got bags of signal now :) Don't know how you manage it this time of year!

Gutted I missed last night - was too knackered after imaging Sunday night. But am out there again tonight trying to get enough data in!

Cracking images again Rob, even better! You've got bags of signal now :) Don't know how you manage it this time of year!

Gutted I missed last night - was too knackered after imaging Sunday night. But am out there again tonight trying to get enough data in!

Cheers Lewis, yeah the tank is all but empty now, im absolutely exhausted! I woudnt mind too much if its cloudy tonight as it means I can have a rest. Last night was really clear again too, I was out having my first attempt at the Triffid nebula with the 150P (all halos now fixed.... hooray!!) and the ED80 snapping some Ha. Cor blimey, it aint half low in the sky so there was a bit of tree skimming going on.

Archived