Itchy hands time new scope

Hi guys

I have got about £400 ish bucks to purchase a new scope to replace my sky max 90. I recently moved house to a small Scottish village . So a bigger scope would be nice.

Looking at a 200p Don or a 150p skyline. Which would be better or any more recommendations ?

Cheers

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I am reliably (!) informed that bigger is always better... . 200p of those two, assuming you're happy to lug it into the garden etc. In either case, you'll have a great deal of fun from the significant increase in aperture :). Nice situation to be in ;).

Would sky watcher 200p Dob or a explorer 200p be better?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Completely different mount and a bit of difference in the tube (as I was buying the Dob and then changed mind for the Explorer :) )

- Explorer 200P: sells with an Eq5 mount (it is heavier takes more time to setup and with additional motors can track objects).

it is also F/5, meaning brighter images and less magnification in comparison to the dob.

- Skyliner 200P: has a dob mount, easy peasy to move and setup, more lightweight, the optics should be exactly the same as the Explorer,

except for the length of the tube, which provides an F/6 focal length: that means (as I learned on SGL) a slightly higher magnification

with more contrasty views. Theoretically, from what I've read, F/6 should also be "more forgiving" imperfect collimation and lower quality eyepieces,

if compared to the F/5 focal of the Explorer.

So basically the slightly "slower" and contrasty Skyliner could be considered as a little bit better for planets and observing purposes, while the slightly "faster" and brighter Explorer might be considered a (relatively) better option for DSO's and imaging.

My advise is that you add a little £ 40 more to your budget and get a bigger 250PX (the PX mirror is said to cool down faster) and you'll blow away your mind with stunning mesmerizing views. It gathers of course more light and it's a very bright F/4.7.

Hope it makes sense :D

Clear Skies

My thoughts exactly. Even in these twighlight months of the year, my 300p is lightyears ahead of my old 200p on faint fuzzies. If the 250px bridges half of that gap, it is well worth the £40.

Russell

I would go for the largest you can afford, if that is a dob, so what, I am thinking of getting one. Small Scottish vilage is crying out for a 200mm. You may be able to pick up a 10 inch secondhand. What a fool I am Russell has already found you a 12 inch on the net.

Alan.

Archived