SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

200p dob mods

lennylovit

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no probs Steve , make new bolt if you like got s/steel thread bar as well

back to encoder, if you mount it above the center bolt faceing down that will turn it the other way so readout will run the other way

no probs Steve , make new bolt if you like got s/steel thread bar as well

back to encoder, if you mount it above the center bolt faceing down that will turn it the other way so readout will run the other way

tried that ... works but it reads as a minus no. works though ... still experimenting.

Aimed it at Aerial on a roof , zeroed it, spun it round a few times in variuos directions... pushed back to zero ... suspense builds ...

i'll tell you tomorrow :evil:

Naaaa it was smack bang on the aerial !

Not a scientific test, but a test , and it passed :smiley:

Looking at knobby's video I'd have thought that ideally you'd want the sensor spindle to turn anti-clockwise when the spindle is facing you as the dob turns clockwise relative to the base, or the base turns anti-clockwise relative to the mount. knobby's design achieves that by having the sensor spindle-up, I think. If you have the sensor spindle-down then I think you'd either need to drive it via a couple of 1:1 gears from the centre bolt, or have the sensor read backwards.

I may well have misinterpreted the video though.

James

Just been looking at the prices of plastic gears on ebay. Not at all cheap. I could get a couple of aluminium gears from motionco for the prices some of them are charging.

James

Thought about a gemred before I started the setting circle but for me it's one mod too far.you'll have three electric components going at the same timerunning and timing out in the cold.still interested to see how the mods go.good luck folks

Hi Knobby had a think bevel gears from motionco bevel gears GB1M016 £2.24 mounted like this

only need to open out the gears to fit encoder shaft and turn down your center bolt to fit gear

slotted holes to adjust to fit

post-12685-0-81822000-1343306362_thumb.j

Hi Knobby had a think bevel gears from motionco

I wondered about drilling and tapping one of the gears to match the thread of the pivot, then screwing it onto the pivot bolt the other way up and held in place with a locknut or a bit of loctite. The sensor box could then be fixed directly in contact with the base. The hub diameter seems to be 12mm though, which might be a bit small to drill out for a reasonable size pivot bolt?

James

My mods have been quite standard for a dob. The ota and focuser tube have been flocked, bobs knobs conversion on the primary and secondary mirrors, adjustable feet, 2d spirit level added to the base, second finder scope mounting plate has been added so I can use my rdf and finder scope. Just need to get my setting circle laminated and purchase a wixey

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

My mods have been quite standard for a dob. The ota and focuser tube have been flocked, bobs knobs conversion on the primary and secondary mirrors, adjustable feet, 2d spirit level added to the base, second finder scope mounting plate has been added so I can use my rdf and finder scope. Just need to get my setting circle laminated and purchase a wixey

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi stargazer, does the flocking make much difference?

Archived