Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What a lovely night at last....! :)

Disco

From the Ring nebula to M10 then on to the Wild duck cluster and more it has been a great night to observe and not too cold either.

Unfortunately, with work in the morning I have had to pack up and I've just remembered I need to iron a shirt!!!!

Goodnight from Suffolk :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have loads to do tomorrow morning so should have been in bed ages ago, but have only just come in :)

Not the best of seeing tonight, I thought. There appeared to be a huge amount of moisture in the air. Far more so than Friday night. Still feel like I have to make the best of it after the famine of the last few months though...

James

Ive just got in from a superb nights observing!.The veil nebula thorugh my new scope was incredible every time i close my eyes thats all i can see :grin: .Plus having the use of a eq platform made observing a true pleasure.I hope tomorrow night is as clear as tonight.

That sounds like fun Matt :grin: One of my all-time best views was the veil with Olly's big Dob - photo-like and I couldn't believe I was seeing it. I'm actually taking shots of the witch's broom part now as a test for my new scope and OSC camera. (Its a bit of a learning curve!!)

Helen

The milky way was amazing at blaenavon tonight Helen,i love nosing around cygnus with a low power wide f.o.v eyepiece.Ie never seen the veil as good as tonight im gobsmaked, you should pop up one night.

This was my first decent session since April or May!

Saw The Great Nebula In Andromeda for the first time as well as the ring nebula.

Showed some friends the Great Cluster in Hercules, which is always good!

What a pleasure to be out there again!

I have loads to do tomorrow morning so should have been in bed ages ago, but have only just come in :)

Not the best of seeing tonight, I thought. There appeared to be a huge amount of moisture in the air. Far more so than Friday night. Still feel like I have to make the best of it after the famine of the last few months though...

James

Same for me. 9am meeting tomorrow morning and I still haven't gone to bed. The seeing weren't great and I don't think my scope cooled properly. The air was relatively dry here compared to previous nights.

While condition wasn't the best, it certainly weren't bad. I observed M57 and few globs, and also sweeping around Cygnus with a lowish power eyepiece just to immerse my field of vision in a sea of stars.

I finally got to use some of my new eyepieces and I was very impress with them.

Fantastic night, rock steady, been all over Cygnus, Cassio, Pegasus etc...,with 10" inch, more M's and IC than you can shake a stick at. Ring showed lovelly detail, owl cluster great, tried out my new project vintage carton f15 refractor too, no false colour on vega! amazing, androm. was excellent even at only 80mm, ring was clear. bodes good.

One downer dropped 43mm eyepiece, two dings but optics untouched phew!! at the end went to the hershels garnet straight up more or less. sooooo red. beautiful.

Just come in thinking clouds on way, then they go again should have stayed out longer...

my first session for what seems like a lifetime, and first allnighter since march I think.

Started on M16, managed to grab 5 x 20 mins on that, then 6 x 20 mins on M27, and just finishing off with 6 x 20 on the bubble. So far I everything has worked like a dream, including my new C11 Edge that is having its first real night in anger :) Not lost a single sub so far, not bad for a rattly old EQ6 imaging at 2800mm focal length :)

Ive just got in from a superb nights observing!.The veil nebula thorugh my new scope was incredible every time i close my eyes thats all i can see :grin: .Plus having the use of a eq platform made observing a true pleasure.I hope tomorrow night is as clear as tonight.

I've been observing the Veil tonight as well Matt. So nice to have a night like this after all the rubbish that the past 6 weeks or so has thrown at us. I managed to pick off a number of galaxies and globular clusters as well as the nebulae. Nothing really new but so nice to say "hello" to old celestial friends :smiley:

The Veil is still firmly my favourite summer object though. So much detail with a 31mm Nager and an O-III filter - especially the "Bridal Veil" segment :smiley:

Sounds like a few other people had fun too :)

The veil is now definitely on my list to see next.

Right better get that shirt sorted, have a good day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome night last night, probably one of the best since I started in January. The Milky Way was clearly visible and I managed my first DSO image, Andromeda. I'm not going to post it as it's rubbish, but it was the first time the camera has been out since I bought it six weeks ago and I was dying to use it. I did a high ISO single sub and my jaw hit the ground when I finally saw my own DSO image on APT.

Even with a moderate amount of LP, my garden showed it is capable of some great skies. Now I'm tired and have to go to work.

only went out with bino's last night... have resolved myself to waiting until autumn for the earlier nights just cant fit work + child in as well as late night, Cassiopeia looked amazing last night ! lots of stars visible which is always fantastic

I didn't take the scope out last night, but at 01.30 this morning I looked out and saw loads of stars than I have ever seen and they were really bright, but the street lights were still on as normal.

Yes a great nights viewing. I took out the 6" Newt and studied the area around Sagittarius. M8, M20, M21, M17, M16, M11 and a few globulars M54, NGC6544, NGC6553 and NGC6624. It was clear to the horizon and it was wonderful to go star hopping again after so many months.

If it clear tonight I will take out the 10" Dob to view some of my favourite objects.

Mark

Thanks for the view Matt! Now I want a 200P even more! :)

It was also great to see the ring nebula. It even looked great through my scope!

Can't wait for the next clear night - I want to find the Dumbbell now! :D

Well best night of the year so far, stayed out till 01:30, just a T-Shirt to keep the bugs from biting, 10 images at 60 seconds each for M31, M51, M57, M71, M77 just to add to the collection, looking forward to tonight....:)

I'm so jealous! I had planned to go out last night, but my 4 year old daughter had kept me up most of the night on saturday so was absolutely shot by sunday evening, gutted to say the least, although glad that it's going to be clear for next few nights. saying this i did manage to sneak out last night about 23:30 with my binos as my daughter had woken me up again and i was too awake at the point to go back to sleep (but in PJ's so didn't get the scope out lol). Managed to finally find m13 which has been my next target, even with my bino's I was still so happy to be seeing it. Can't wait to get out and see it with my dob tonight!

I am so jealous; Yesterday was a lovely sunny day, blue skies warm lovely. Then what happens as twilight draws near so do the clouds, by 10:30 pm it was wall to wall cloud and stayed that way all night. I f this carries on i am going to break down and cry (not a pretty sight) :cry: :cry:

Arggh, you guys are nuts reading some the the times you posted at!! :D I've got too many obligations during my waking hours (early start at work) to stay up that late... :( Astro twighlight still exists in my area so I'm waiting until early August to get back into it.

Archived