Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
jonathan

Lunt and CG4 are finally united

After months I have finally managed to achieve what I set out to do a long, long time ago in a.. well, this solar system actually because it's about my solar scope and the CG4.

I purchased the CG4 (after a month of it being on back-order) with the intention of it being a stable platform for my Lunt LS60, the camera tripod and EQ1 being rather inadequate for the job (though EQ1 was a vast improvement over the camera tripod). I managed to purchase the wrong bar (ordered the losmandy by mistake), then found that I didn't have the appropriate bolts to attach the clamshell to the vixen.

The final hurdle has been acquiring camera tripod bolts of the correct size and length, it took two attempts from an ebay seller (top quality bolts, mind you) to get ones that were exactly right for the Vixen dovetail bar and LS60 clamshell.

I have to say that the CG4 performs brilliantly with the LS60, and they look great together in their white livery; it's like the two were made for one another. The blue Synta dovetail bar compliments the red part of the LS60, too. I look forward to trying the CG4 with a decent 80mm scope if I get one later in the year.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics:

LuntonCG4.jpg

LuntonCG4seatedview.jpg

That is the Hyperion 8 - 24 zoom, it works pretty well but the top end is sensitive to seeing conditions even during the day, I couldn't achieve focus today so stayed at the next stop down (12, I think). There is plenty of detail to be seen and appreciated at 12mm, focus is amazingly sharp. If I wanted to, I could probably slip in my 10mm X-Cel eyepiece, that is usually good for a close-up, though not quite as sharp as the Hyperion at 12.

I do like it when twisting the pressure tuner knob to bring in the detail of the prominences, it's like they just appear out of the darkness, it has a good 'throttle' feel to it too. On the CG4 there is hardly any vibration, even when adjusting the pressure tuner knob (which requires a bit of effort). Touching the feather focus wheel doesn't even register.

Very pleased with my set up, worth waiting for.

Edited by jonathan

That is the Hyperion 8 - 24 zoom, it works pretty well but the top end is sensitive to seeing conditions even during the day, I couldn't achieve focus today so stayed at the next stop down (12, I think).

Seeing conditions improved towards the middle of the afternoon as the clouds dispersed, the 8mm stop on the Hyperion was giving superb results for a couple of hours, as sharp as 12mm.

Looks good, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I have the 80mm Lunt and often find the best views are early morning not long after sunrise. Of course with the weather of late I forget what the sun looks like!!

The mount looks good though. I find my manfrotto camera tripod is ok for visual and I use an OTT EQ6 when i'm trying to image.

I have the 80mm Lunt and often find the best views are early morning not long after sunrise. Of course with the weather of late I forget what the sun looks like!!

Oh, to have an 80mm... drool. But my bank account took one look and gave me the finger.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hazza001
      Evening all,
      I've wanted a solar scope for the longest time so I recently took the plunge and bought the Daystar Solar Scout SS60, It arrived maybe a week or so ago and its been cloudy nearly every day since (always the way with new astro gear!!!) 
      Well the clouds parted for a while yesterday so I fired it up and took a few "snaps"
      I was using my Nikon D3300 with a 2X barlow. at first all I saw was a red ball.... not too interesting then I fiddled around with the settings and got this... (I have editied slightly by bumping up the contrast but that was it!)

I still have alot to learn but its getting there I managed to capture some detail texture(?) in the surface and some prominence detail
      I then tried taking a video then stack and prosess in registax which didnt turn out so great

I got the Proms, but the disk is very washed out, I struggled here because the camera recorded in MOV. file which I had to convert to an avi. before registax would even look at it.
      Not as good as the first one (I think it was more luck than anything else!!) plus I had my iso setting a bit high, the video had lots of noise and I didn't take a reference frame (might of helped?) Alot of faf for not much reward 😂

From the first few hours I've had with the scope I really enjoy using it, the only thing I struggled with was achiving focus as I only had the disk to focus on which was supprisingly tricky.
      I'm hoping for a bit more practice before the 11th 😁

Let me know what you think and if you have any tips or tricks I'm all ears

Harry

• By Richard Shaw
      I acquired a second hand Coronado PST. The focus knob doesn't seem to have any effect on the image and, although it turns, it feels as if something inside the scope is "slipping".
      Is it worth opening up and taking a look to see the focus knob in action?
      Is there anywhere that services the PST without sending it outside the UK?
      Are there any nasty surprises if I open it up (springs, pressure points etc)?
    • By Davenn
      The Sun today - 07 May 2019 0130UT (1130 AEST)
      Lunt LS60THa single frame exposures with an ASI 1600MM
      AR2740 with AR2741 just coming around the limb

This last one using a Televue 2.5x Powermate

cheers
      Dave
    • By jambouk
      I am thinking of getting a Lunt 50mm scope. I want to image as well as observe. I am thinking I could put my ZWO on the scope and capture video. My question is, does focal length in a solar scope relate to the FoV as it does for a non-solar scope? The field of view calculator (http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php) suggests I could just about get a full disc with a focal length of 350mm (the 50mm Lunt), but not with a focal length of 500mm (the 60mm Lunt). Is my logic correct?

• By Owmuchonomy
      For sale is my Lunt LS60THa/B1200FTPT Ha scope.  The scope is in MINT condition in the original flight case as it came from FLO.  This is the Pressure Tuner version also with the B1200 blocking filter allowing for a larger field for observing AND imaging.  It is also equipped with the magnificent Starlight Instruments Feathertouch focuser with 1.5" travel and 10:1 reduction which makes focussing for imaging cameras so sweet.  The diagonal comes ready equipped with the T2 camera connection.  Pick up here near Harrogate is possible or I do also have the original LUNT packaging so it can easily be picked up by the courier of your choice at your risk.  I can provide box weight and dimensions should you wish to do so.
      £1940 by bank transfer please.  This price includes the ADM dovetail and Televue Sol Searcher I purchased as extras.  If you don't want these items then deduct £40.  Pictures below including some images taken using this scope and a ZWO ASI 174 Mono camera.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.