Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wednesday in Dengie for me!! Anyone else?

Simms

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
great review ! v jealous - i think im going to need you to show we where those naked eye things are when we get there next time simms, having never seen anything dimmer than orion in my garden due to shocking LP

sounds amazing !!!!!! so could you see the MW band at all ?

Yes Si ... the milky way was pretty freaky! Kept noticing it out the corner of my eye, accidental averted vision :D

Milky Way was very evident - looked incredible - Over the hours of dark it made its way slowly over the top of us - using Garys 10" Dob to view the area in Cygnus presented us with clouds of stars - especially climbing in through the 38mm Panaview.

OK chaps ... do you want to here about the 20 odd point turn ?

you may have read my post about Osea Island and the near write off of my 3 day old company car ! Well, first of all a bit of advice ( which keeps the post relevant to the original aim of the thread)

If you do come along at any time, make sure you arrive before dark ! may seem obvious, but do it.

I rushed over last night and got the google maps co-ords slightly off, that combined with google nav relying on a data connection and refusing to tell me to turn into a ' narrow lane' conspired to send me down a farmers road , probably suitable for tractors / land rovers , when i entered the lane it was getting pretty dark, so off i plod slowly along this ever narrowing and rough path.

After a while i phoned mark (o2 and T-Mobile just about work there, intermittently) and it became clear i was on the wrong road !

but I could see his torch, so now i had to turn round and head back. That was when the panick set in ... couldn't see naff all, only in front, so I carried on looking for somewhere to turn.

eventually got to the end of the path where it went up slightly and then dropped fairly quickly. You guesed it, I nearly did dipped my headlights in what I think was the river Blackwater :embarassed:

Could I find anywhere to turn round ... in the end I had to reverse seriously slowly back until I found a slightly wider bit and very carefully did a 28 pint turn, not knowing what was either side of the path !

So ............. get there before dark !

Great place though :grin:

There is one potential problem that Gary & I discussed and that is the new island being created in the estuary by the RSPB. Before dark you can easily see the heavy plant equipment already in place, it's very close to this location (directly south if looking at the Photosynth) any lighting will totally destroy any decent viewing to the south. Sod law says it will render he site useless for 5 years :(

knobby - amazing story mate LOVE IT !!!!!!!

i cant wait to get out there with you guys now - im out every weekend from the end of august to mid october now annoyingly for weddings etc so im going to really be looking at end of october onwards !!!!

cant wait to see the MW now !

How you doing ? It was good meeting up, looking forward to meeting the others too.

You've turned me into a bit of a Messier hunter :grin: Just spent a couple of hours in the garden fine tuning my gadgets. Found M13, M31,M11,M27 and M57. All faint against the Moon washed light polluted Essex sky but visible !

Cheers

it was a very nice night last night - the moon looked great through my bins - could see a couple of large mountains on the dark side lit up which was very cool !!

im def looking forward to meeting you both and everyone else - how was m13 - could you make any detail out at all or just an averted bit of cotton wool haha?

Gary, glad you're looking for them - however with that gorgeous M13 the other night I think you may of peaked too early :)

SW250 - M13 looked great - more than just fuzzy, prolonged viewing allowed one to resolve (lots of) stars to the core.

No probs - with the dog though, as mentioned before there is a guy who uses the land (and I daresay pays a lot of £££) to raise gamebirds, now while at this time of year not a prob as they are caged (you drive past the cages as you go down the road), come Autumn they are freerange and as such will be about on the ground - far be it for me to say what can and can't be done, but ideally wouldn't want to annoy anyone if you catch my drift.

To be honest, the most trouble one could expect down there is a few dirty looks from the local rabbit population and maybe an arrogant badger - although a bat did look at me sarcastically when I was packing up.

Archived