Narrowband

Wednesday in Dengie for me!! Anyone else?

Simms

Well, it looks like we might get clear weather next week - so I am going to make the most of my week off work and get myself over to Dengie on Wednesday evening - more than likely on the airfield, but I may try the farmtrack. I know most of you work but I will update throughout the week to confirm - hopefully the weather will hold and I may go out on Friday also..

Things are looking brighter at last - its been a tough few months.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no wont be any good for me now this week - i will certainly be out joining you all from september / october time as we have loads of weddings etc between now and then but this week no good sadly :( BUT how nice was it last night !!! binoculars at 2am - very dark for a change

Got a GPS tagged picture of the gate to make it easier to find next time ... if you follow the path towards the water there is a clump of trees about half way. We were there.

Simms imaged, tonight me a bit about how to find stuff, saw M45 M13 ( jaw dropping) Andromeda ... milky way ... double cluster can't remember, need to log stuff me thinks :Dpost-21341-134329187484_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure we saw Uranus too, it was about 10 degrees up at around 1 o'clock

Cheers Simms, first dark site for me, enjoyed it, great find

Will try to answer a few of the questions.

In terms of how dark - that's obviously subjective, for me anything other than the bright lights of Bas Vegas is dark - but you could see the Milky Way pretty well. A problem I sometimes had were `too many stars` so finding some of the constellations proved trickier overall (and that's my reason for polar aligning on the wrong star initially... ahem). But I could clearly see the Double Cluster and Andromeda with the naked eye.

I packed up at 03:10 when things started getting a bit damp. The thing I found about the site is how `safe` it felt - no passing traffic due to it being a dead end. You could get a number of cars down there quite easily if we all parked sensibly.

Before Gary turned up a couple in a car did come down to `check me out`, it turns out they use the land to rear game birds and have a number of cages down there - they asked a few questions one would normally expect ("How far can that thing see?", "Have you ever seen anything `unexplained`?") but generally were really nice.

Views to the North/North-West and partially West were obscured by trees, but only at relatively low angles. Was nice to see Pleides rising over the horizon quickly followed by Jupiter (but don't tell Gary as he has a thing about planets and left about 5 mins too early!) I made a rough Photosynth panorama before it got dark so will drop a link to that when I upload it, this should allow you to see how it looks for yourself.

Toying with the idea of going down again this evening maybe, but a bit sleepy at the moment.

great review ! v jealous - i think im going to need you to show we where those naked eye things are when we get there next time simms, having never seen anything dimmer than orion in my garden due to shocking LP

sounds amazing !!!!!! so could you see the MW band at all ?

Thanks Simms, and well done, good round up. Too many stars sounds like good problem to have! Sounds like you have found a pretty spot for us, I'm looking forward to getting there soon, maybe Friday even. I didn't think the weather last night was going to be any good, it started to cloud where I am about 7 ish, but seemed to clear later, I went out in the garden and the view was definitely not as good as the previous night, the MW was only just visible. Glad you had a successful night, hope we have many more to come. Once again, thanks for the effort.

Archived