Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

TractionMan

Has anyone tried Stellarium for Android yet?

Hello. Just found out that Stellarium is finally available for android devices, although it's not free. Has anyone tried it yet and if so, what are your opinions?

I dont think it is THE stellarium although I thought they were in the process of creating a mobile version the real stellarium i doubt would be charged for as its open source

Ive got it on my Galaxy S2, not used it out and about yet, but it works pretty much the same as the pc version. Its worth the 1.99 definately.

One thing that is missing is the red screen option, not sure how big an issue that might be outside.

If youve got an android pad, it would be well worth getting

Andy

Taken from the Wiki site

"Note: There is a paid Stellarium Mobile port for Android by Noktua Software. It is based on Fabien Chereau's Stellarium Mobile fork/port for Nokia smartphones. (For those who don't know, Fabien is Stellarium's original author. Noktua Software is a small company set up by Fabien and his brother.) There used to be another port on Google Play that used the same name without permission, but it apparently was taken down at the time the NS port was uploaded (some time in June 2012). Both apps are not related to the port discussed on this page - it uses a novel UI and it will not cost anything when it eventually makes it onto Google Play and elsewhere"

The mobile version you have is a port based on the software by Fabien Chereau who created Stellarium. When Stellarium.org release an android version of Stellarium it will be free.

Peter

• Like 1

Taken from the Wiki site

"Note: There is a paid Stellarium Mobile port for Android by Noktua Software. It is based on Fabien Chereau's Stellarium Mobile fork/port for Nokia smartphones. (For those who don't know, Fabien is Stellarium's original author. Noktua Software is a small company set up by Fabien and his brother.) There used to be another port on Google Play that used the same name without permission, but it apparently was taken down at the time the NS port was uploaded (some time in June 2012). Both apps are not related to the port discussed on this page - it uses a novel UI and it will not cost anything when it eventually makes it onto Google Play and elsewhere"

The mobile version you have is a port based on the software by Fabien Chereau who created Stellarium. When Stellarium.org release an android version of Stellarium it will be free.

Peter

thats good to know...i do need an app might look at this then.

I have to say, since I downloaded Skeye, I haven't looked back.

Typed by me, using fumms...

Edited by earth titan

I have to say, since I downloaded Skeye, I haven't looked back.

Just had a quick try out of Skeye on my phone and it looks quite good. I had been waiting for the Stellarium port before considering an Android tablet but this could swing it.

Edited by Alastair Rae

Thanks for the input. I really like the PC version of Stellarium and thought it might be good to have it on my Android Tablet as well. But on the other hand, I'm very happy with Mobile Observatory. Oh well, if there's a free version release I'll try it.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexwolf
      Hello!
      Today we published first release candidate to version 0.19.1 - please help us testing Stellarium!
      List of changes between version 0.19.0 and master (0.19.0.16926/0.19.1RC1):
      - Added allow to search an inactive meteor showers in Search Tool/Lists tool
      - Added 'Azimuth vs. Time' graph into AstroCalc/Graphs tool
      - Added feature to show tracks for latest several selected planets (GH: #539)
      - Added calculation and showing the orbital period for artificial satellites
      - Added revolutions per day info for artificial satellites
      - Added tools for jumping to the next or previous time of rising, transit or setting for selected object (GH: #484)
      - Added new behavoir for AstroCalc/Graphs when clicking within graph area now sets current time.
      - Fixed issue in script 'Mercury Triple Sunrise and Sunset'
      - Fixed crash of Stellarium for eyepieces with permanent crosshair
      - Fixed Stellarium crash when Remote Control plugin is working
      - Fixed computation of assume radius for minor planets.
      - Fixed the issue of the scrolling not working properly on Mac (GH: #393)
      - Fixed crash in Scripting Engine (Hide artificial satellites through StelProperties in core.clear() method to avoid crash if plugin was didn't loaded)
      - Fixed planetarium crash in HiPS (network manager delete problem)
      - Fixed position problems on the Poles (GH: #391)
      - Fixed scaling Telrad sign on HighDPI monitors
      - Fixed surface occlusion bug even with landscape turned off in scripting engine (GH: #680)
      - Fixed building with cmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON (GH: #683)
      - Fixed error in constellation file format (Babylonian)
      - Fixed Europe/Volgograd time zone settings (GH: #686)
      - Fixed HiPS handling of allsky download (GH: #671)
      - Fixed progress bar rendering (GH: #671)
      - Fixed positive declinations issue in AstroCalc tool when option 'Use decimal degrees' is enabled (GH: #690)
      - Fixed file names inconsistency
      - Fixed constellation line in "Japanese Moon Stations" skyculture
      - Fixed file name for constellation boundaries in Stellarium User Guide
      - Fixed the user interface problems in Oculars plug-in (GH: #580)
      - Fixed getting the wrong values in objects/info method for selected object for different formats (Remote Control plugin)
      - Fixed refresh plots when AstroCalc dialog becomes visible again (AstroCalc/Graphs tool)
      - Fixed jquery vulnerability (GH: #694)
      - Fixed date and time dialog behaviour: Hour/Minute/Second spinners now correctly trigger signals dateChanged(), dateChangedByYear and dateChangedForMonth() when days, months or years are affected by it.
      - Fixed update graphs in AstroCalc/Graphs tool when days change
      - Updated planetary nomenclature
      - Updated common names of stars and DSO's
      - Updated cmake rules for Windows deployment
      - Updated DSO textures
      - Updated behaviour of HiPS survey if Stellarium started without network (GH: #681)
      - Updated GUI for ArchaeoLines plugin (GH: #689, #682)
      - Updated default pulsars catalog (v1.60)
      - Updated list of asterisms
      - Excluded Armintxe skyculture and landscape from default package
      Download link: https://github.com/Stellarium/stellarium-data/releases/tag/beta
    • By eshy76
      This was single shot taken with a Samsung S8 (Android) on my father in law's rooftop in Vacoas, Mauritius on April 18th. I was facing East/North East and was mesmerized by seeing Orion "on its side" for a Northern Hemisphere dweller such as my myself.
      No processing, just straight from the phone.
      The mountain is Corp de Gardes and was 3 miles away. Also visible are Castor and Pollux and I think also Alhena.
      I was imaging the Carina nebula when taking this...thanks!

• By Kronos831
      This is in no shape or form good enough for a competition but im putting it here anyway :P.This was taken march11 with my Xiaomi Redmi6 and shaky hands held over the eyepiece.

• By masjstovel
      Hi,

I'm totally New to this hobby and i'm having trouble understanding something in stellarium.
      I have ordered (not recieved) a Sky-Watcher Explorer 150PDS, which has a 25mm eyepiece 50degrees FOV as a default.
      I also have a Nikon D810.

I wanted to get an idea of what my field of view would be with the 25mm eyepiece (30x on 750mm focal length), 
      and also what it would be With my Nikon D810 mounted shooting prime Focus - no eyepieces.

What surprised me was that it wasnt much difference between the frame and size of the object i get with 30x magnification (25mm eyepiece), and what i get with the Nikon D810 mounted. 
      I dont get this. What magnification do i get With my DSLR mounted with no eyepiece?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.