Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

TractionMan

Has anyone tried Stellarium for Android yet?

Hello. Just found out that Stellarium is finally available for android devices, although it's not free. Has anyone tried it yet and if so, what are your opinions?

I dont think it is THE stellarium although I thought they were in the process of creating a mobile version the real stellarium i doubt would be charged for as its open source

Ive got it on my Galaxy S2, not used it out and about yet, but it works pretty much the same as the pc version. Its worth the 1.99 definately.

One thing that is missing is the red screen option, not sure how big an issue that might be outside.

If youve got an android pad, it would be well worth getting

Andy

Taken from the Wiki site

"Note: There is a paid Stellarium Mobile port for Android by Noktua Software. It is based on Fabien Chereau's Stellarium Mobile fork/port for Nokia smartphones. (For those who don't know, Fabien is Stellarium's original author. Noktua Software is a small company set up by Fabien and his brother.) There used to be another port on Google Play that used the same name without permission, but it apparently was taken down at the time the NS port was uploaded (some time in June 2012). Both apps are not related to the port discussed on this page - it uses a novel UI and it will not cost anything when it eventually makes it onto Google Play and elsewhere"

The mobile version you have is a port based on the software by Fabien Chereau who created Stellarium. When Stellarium.org release an android version of Stellarium it will be free.

Peter

• Like 1

Taken from the Wiki site

"Note: There is a paid Stellarium Mobile port for Android by Noktua Software. It is based on Fabien Chereau's Stellarium Mobile fork/port for Nokia smartphones. (For those who don't know, Fabien is Stellarium's original author. Noktua Software is a small company set up by Fabien and his brother.) There used to be another port on Google Play that used the same name without permission, but it apparently was taken down at the time the NS port was uploaded (some time in June 2012). Both apps are not related to the port discussed on this page - it uses a novel UI and it will not cost anything when it eventually makes it onto Google Play and elsewhere"

The mobile version you have is a port based on the software by Fabien Chereau who created Stellarium. When Stellarium.org release an android version of Stellarium it will be free.

Peter

thats good to know...i do need an app might look at this then.

I have to say, since I downloaded Skeye, I haven't looked back.

Typed by me, using fumms...

Edited by earth titan

I have to say, since I downloaded Skeye, I haven't looked back.

Just had a quick try out of Skeye on my phone and it looks quite good. I had been waiting for the Stellarium port before considering an Android tablet but this could swing it.

Edited by Alastair Rae

Thanks for the input. I really like the PC version of Stellarium and thought it might be good to have it on my Android Tablet as well. But on the other hand, I'm very happy with Mobile Observatory. Oh well, if there's a free version release I'll try it.

• Like 1