Narrowband

Which starlight Crayford focuser for a CPC 800?

I'm definitely going to get one of the starlight instruments Crayford focusers, but there are quite a few models...I'm thinking about the one with 0.8 inches of draw tube travel, but there is also a 1.5" model. I plan to use the Celestron stock focuser for rough focus, and then fine focus with the Starlight, so I'm hoping this means I won't need much travel. I'm also favouring the 0.8" because I want to minimise the combined size of the focuser and 2" diagonal, so that I don't hit the base of the fork mount when the scope is pointing close to the zenith. Is there any major reason I should go for the 1.5" instead of the 0.8", or would the 0.8" be a safe bet given these requirements?

I have the 0.8" draw tube focuser with the matching short adapter on my cpc1100 with plenty of chin room when pointed at zenith. Despite the short tube all my EP's come to focus without having to readjust the stock focuser each time I switch EP's.

The longer drawtube model will come in handy if you ever decide to one day use that same focuser on a refractor, for instance.

I have the 0.8" draw tube focuser with the matching short adapter on my cpc1100 with plenty of chin room when pointed at zenith. Despite the short tube all my EP's come to focus without having to readjust the stock focuser each time I switch EP's.

The longer drawtube model will come in handy if you ever decide to one day use that same focuser on a refractor, for instance.

Thanks for the advice - reassuring to hear that there's sill plenty of room with the 0.8" - I think that's the one for me!

Archived