Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 450d mod

petergc

Now I'm a bit of a noob in all areas of our chosen hobby, and as I'm a keen photographer I want to turn my attention to AP. I have purchased a 2nd hand 450d body as i don't want to open my brand new 60d.

have watched a video on You Tube by Gary Honis and I believe I can do the mod :)

Now my question is once I have removed the IR cut filter do I have to replace it with anything else if I'm not using for daytime photography? Gary mentions on his website that The auto focus will not work but that won't pose a problem will it?

I'm keen to have all my equipment ready for the longer, darker, clearer skies :)

Thanks

Different preferences apply with modding as much as with anything else astro-wise. Some people are of the opinion that just removing the filter is sufficiient whilst others go for the Baader replacement. Personally when I get around to it I think I will go for the replacement option.

sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but why do you need to remove the ir filter? was thinking of getting one of these as theyre relatively cheap second hand but would want to use as a day camera and for some moon/planetery photo's .so is it any good for that /

i think removing the filter alters the focus path not a problem for astrophotography.there is a good write up on here

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/eosmod.htm#chngrem

Thanks very much bunny god I will take a look at the link now.

Different preferences apply with modding as much as with anything else astro-wise. Some people are of the opinion that just removing the filter is sufficiient whilst others go for the Baader replacement. Personally when I get around to it I think I will go for the replacement option.

I have enquired into getting the filter from the company Gary suggests but after emailing them they won't ship to the Uk so I'm going to give Flo a call tomorrow. So I my get the replacement but I may not.

sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but why do you need to remove the ir filter? was thinking of getting one of these as theyre relatively cheap second hand but would want to use as a day camera and for some moon/planetery photo's .so is it any good for that /

The filter cuts out certain rays of the light spectrum. I don't think you can use it for day to day but don't quote me on that :)

AFAIK when doing the Mod you do not have to replace the filter, just removing it and it will be fine. Now one of the additional reason for putting a replacement in is to protect the sensor from dust. You can get a special clear filter or the baddaer filter which help block other unwanted light transmission.

Daylight use will cause problems but you can over come these with adding your own IR screw on filters or Astromik clip fliters.

Also you can go Ghost hunting as with the removal of the filters gives you the Full Spectrum camera which supposably will allow you to shot sprites and ghosts. So sayeth Steve from Syfy Ghostbusters.

The 450D actually has two filters, and you aren't removing the IR cut (which is a very good IR cut filter.)

You are removing the harsher colour balance filter that blocks the Ha emissions :)

No replacement needed!

My 450 d body came yesterday :) Now I'm just slightly confused as to wether I can just take out the canon filter. Or replace it with a Baader. The link above says that you need to replace it if your going to use it on a refractor. But Stephen suggests that the replacement is not needed!!!! What to do?

You can safely remove only the colour correction filter to enhance the red response. No additional filters are needed to give UV-IR cut-off and it works with all standard camera lenses and all telescopes.

Auto focus with standard lenses is slightly compromised, but IMHO for the normal "family" shot's you'll never notice the difference.

If you shoot via the Canon utilities software then you have a 'live-view' option with a magnified image for focusing. Otherwise you can still use live-view on the camera's viewing screen which will give you x10 mag image.

So taking out the cyan coloured cut filter won't cause too much of a headache for AP.

Archived