Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Metal Shed Temperature Control

BlueAstra

My metal shed obs/storage gets v hot inside when the sun comes out ( sometime last year). I'm told it will be sunny again next year, so in preparation, how do you keep your sheds cool? I'm think perhaps some kind of temperature controlled fan.

It'll also "shed" (get the pun?) heat quickly as the sun goes down, I'd be more concerned if it was a wooden shed.

that is true , ventilation would also be key to lower down temperatures.

you can also try painting the metal white to reflect off heat better.

Along with some of the suggestions above - would one of these be any use? Some models will just dehumidify if that is required.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4250832/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CAir+conditioning+and+fans%7C14418329/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418329%7CAir+conditioning%7C14418330.htm#pdpProductReviews

Does anyone have any experience of the pros and cons of aircon in warmer climes observatories ?

It all depends on your shed - Mine is a Yardmaster GEY type and had vents all along both sides of the roof ridge. These, coupled with the gaps around the roll-off break allow plenty of air to circulate in warm weather. It gets hot inside but seldom more tha 6-8 degrees centigrade above outside temp.

I'm thinking of installing one of those whirlybird turbine vent on the roof of my obs. I'm kicking myself for not doing this during the construction of the obs.....Now I would need to remove some shingles and cut a hole in the roof.

do you have any internet links to these?

I'm thinking of installing one of those whirlybird turbine vent on the roof of my obs. I'm kicking myself for not doing this during the construction of the obs.....Now I would need to remove some shingles and cut a hole in the roof.

There are plenty of small gaps here and there in the shed, but on a hot sunny day I'm sure it gets up around 40C+. I was thinking of perhaps a temperature switch controlling a big fan on the wall, or a solar cell powered fan. Perhaps with improved insulation on outer walls, such as polystyrene sheet. Also, do you blow hot air out or cold air in?

If it's the sun you're worried about (radiative heat) you'd be better off with a reflective insulation material. Poly sheet will obviously also help keep heat in during the winter.

If possible, you want to have air coming in through the floor, and out through the roof. A duct which lets air in through the floor, and one which you push warm air out through the roof would be perfect.

I wouldn't be too worried about temperature but I would be worried about condensation problems - metal sheds are notorious for this!

I have a dehumidifier, and I've lined in inside of the roof with polystyrene sheet. This stops condensation dripping on the inside. Thinking of doing the same for the walls, more for heat (out) insulation.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally installed a Whirlybird turbine vent on my obs the other day. It operates fine and although it still remains quite warm in the obs during hot, sunny days there is a noticeable drop in temps compared to when the obs used to feel like being in an oven.

What I still need to do to improve flow is to install a larger screened vent near floor level.

P1060808.jpg

Archived