SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Space 50 at Jodrell Bank

dave1978

Was there a month ago, must say there are a lot of nice places in this country to vist but the bank and places like the earth station (as was) at goonhilly give a pretty humble view of the world. if you go dont forget to take the trip to mars film, really good. I am going to book to go on Saturday night, thats my excuse then to go to manchester airport and travel up on the Friday, the wife seems to smile when i say im off for the weekend. :insects1:

• 1 month later...

Well Jodrell bank did a great job with the space50 show, was a pretty eerie feeling sitting in front of the dish when all the lights get turned out. They are going to do it again next year it seems as this year went so well. The show included a 45 minute show of the hubble telescope images and as they were projected onto the dish on what was a screen twice the size of an IMAX screen they looked superb. I would really recommend this to anyone who wants to go next time.

P.S take a torch, you couldnt see a thing in front of you on the way out.

I made it to the edge Kaptain, dont know about Cayennes, but i was bemused by a family throwing some relatives ashes over the edge only to have the whole lot blown back all over them, and I didnt see any wizards.

Agreed it was a great night, it could have been a little more informative with some commentary i thought but overall i really enjoyed it. The effect of using the dish was brilliant, when it was rotated down to face the crowd it looked perfectly flat in the dark, and when the images were projected onto it this gave an amesome 3D effect to the nebula's & galaxies. The burgers were a little pricey at £2.50 but very good none the less!

Archived