Narrowband

M42 re-process

cloudbuster

Hi all

a quick re-process of my last M42, has resulted in this, what i hope is an improved image - blacker sky, better colours etc. all improvements done in curves in pixinsight.

failand 16.1.12

skywatcher 200pds 8"

Canon 40d

CLS light pollution filter

800 asa

11 subs 15 sec

10 subs 30 sec

10 subs 1 min

10 subs 2 min

10 subs 4 min

5 subs 5 min

darks as above, but with only 10 darks at 15 sec, instead of 11

40 bias 1/8000th sec

50 flats 1/250 mode

stacked in DSS

Processed in Pixinsight

hope you like!

cheers

bob

post-3512-0-46712300-1342527461_thumb.jp

Great image, one of the best ive seen with a DSLR. Agree with above the core is slightly blown, although i quite like that, gives it real drama but the details fanatics will suggest damping it a little. Really lovely though.

thanks for the views guys and gals....and i agree about the core. how i go about dealing with that is something i know little about....so please....anyone know how to address this. it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

bob

Sorry, but PI is totally foreign to me! I'm sure it can do something similar though...

PS: you might find that stacking only your shorter subs for the core layer will help preserve that detail.

What I did for M42 was to stretch the lower light levels more than the higher using curves ie. lifting the lower (RHS) side but holding or even reducing the contrast of the higher levels (LHS). I don't know PI either but I believe it has curves. Two sets of lights is also a good suggestion but combining them migh be a bit trickier than curves. I haven't played with that as yet.

Archived