Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet 96P Machholz

So could we be in for a little surpise with this comet which is expected to come into view at possibly 7th mag moving through Leo as early as the 21st of July?

At the moment it is only just appearing from behind the sun and is too close for viewing and there is not a lot of info about it but a heads up is in the latest Astronomy Magazine.

One to keep an eye on at the very least.

Elements and Ephemeris

http://scully.cfa.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/returnprepeph.cgi?d=c&o=0096P

Sky chart here...

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/96P.pdf

No worries.

I'd like to know a bit more about it as I'd have to go for a drive(not far mind you, just not my house) to see it as it will be roughly at 11°.

But I'm not overly sure what to expect, it seems to be an odd little comet.

Here is a bit more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/96P/Machholz

http://cometography.com/pcomets/096p.html

wasn't expecting any visitors that bright this year

I thought comets were fairly predictable in brightness and there timing so why has this one suddenly cropped up?

Yet to view a comet yet so will be great if it does show at mag 7! :)

I thought comets were fairly predictable in brightness and there timing so why has this one suddenly cropped up?

Yet to view a comet yet so will be great if it does show at mag 7! :)

Comets are fickle, not so much in orbital components in the case of periodicals, but certainly in brightness

Unfortunately, this one stays fairly low in the western sky and lingers in the twilight for the next few weeks.

But like most comets, you just never know how they might flare up after passing close to the Sun.

Anyone found this in Stellarium? I have the database of comets etc. loaded, but whereas I could find Garradd I can't find this one so either it's not there or I'm searching for the wrong thing.

James

I found it no problem, it's towards the bottom half listed as 96P/ Machholz.

It's probably easier to go straight to the bottom of the list and work your way up to 96, if you still can't see it then I'm not sure.

Thanks for that. Found it easily now :)

Doesn't look like it's going to be too easy to see at the moment. By the time the sun and moon have set this evening it's barely scraping five degrees above the horizon. Might have to wait a bit longer yet...

James

At about 10:30pm it's at 11° for me, I have trouble visualising just how low that is.

I could be making this up but is it something like 1 held out fist for every 10°?

Good, at least I wasn't making it up then.

It's one of those things that even if it is wrong it sounds like you know what your talking about so it's all good.

I might test this out on something I know the degree of.

Still haven't seen any reports of this comet yet.

Is this still visable in the sky? I'm In Berkshire. I was driving home from work and I saw an object in the sky. It was quite low on the horizon and bad luck would have it I had no bins or camera with me. It may of been a plane but I'm not to sure?

Not to the naked eye, it isn't. It should be in the sky now, about fifteen degrees above the western horizon, but still lost in the glow of the sky. Give it another hour and it may be possible to pick it out about halfway between Leo and Leo Minor.

James

I'm planning to try to find it this evening as well. Just been out to check the sky and the first few stars are starting to appear but the western horizon is still way too bright.

James

I meant to add... I found Garadd quite late on with my 15x70s, so if the sky is dark enough this one should be fairly straightforward with either a decent pair of bins or even a moderate size scope.

James

Well, I'm having to admit to failure this evening. It may well be there, but I can't find enough stars to star hop to it. Unfortunately it looks as though it's not going to get much more than nine degrees above the horizon and it's fading fairly rapidly. This week could be the only real viewing opportunity.

James

I haven't really had much viewing time as there are 3 dirty street lights right outside my back fence, my 2 yr old daughter has decided not to sleep as its too warm, the horizon is not visable from my farden as its quite built up and I have to be at work early. I had a quick look with the bins but nothing .... Again.

Peter

Archived