Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

JamieW

Sun 15th July AR1520 Region in Ha

Hi all,

today I was hoping to take my first white light and CaK images. However, the clouds got in the way again, though I did manage 50 seconds with the Lunt in Ha.

Plenty going on in this solar quadrant..

gallery_14506_1667_563267.png

Hope the weather's better where you are.

Jamie

Apologies for replying to my own post but I don't know how to edit or replace an image once submitted.

Anyway, I was trying to substitute the above picture with an image that's kind of in the right orientation.

It looks to me like the sunspot is in the middle of a large depression. Is that for real or an optical illusion?

gallery_14506_1667_546915.png

Edited by JamieW

Very nice capture Jamie, and it's real, it's called the Wilson effect :) More infos here. There is also the website of a fellow french astronomer here and this image in particular, which is astonishing in details.

• Like 1

Lovely detail, the shading does seem to show the SS in a depression. Why a SS would be depressed I've no idea, if I saw that much sun I'd be overjoyed.

Very nice capture Jamie, and it's real, it's called the Wilson effect :) More infos here. There is also the website of a fellow french astronomer here and this image in particular, which is astonishing in details.

I've a long way to go to reach that level of detail and quality lol

Thanks guys, I'd never heard of the Wilson effect before, and that image you linked to is sensational.

Cheers Alexandra. To be honest I was more chuffed that the clouds went away for five minutes.

I'm so itching to try my TAL for some white light and CaK, let's hope those forecasts are right and the Jet Stream is headed North.