Should I go out tonight?

The weather forecast for where I am is showing clouds and clear sky at 10 and 11pm tonight but at 12 it's clear. So, I don't want to be out there for too long , say past 12:30? Would you get it all set up incase it's clear? It does look like it's clearing up but I just don't know?

They're saying it'll be cloudy for the next week and I'm desperate to start imaging some DSO or atleast try and get Saturn??

Stupid weather :-(

Yes I suppose I've got 2 hours to decide and it only takes me about 15 minutes from getting it out the box to looking at Saturn. At the moment it's cloudy and I can't see it clearing by 10. I'll see at 9:30 and then at 10. If not there might be some clear nights next week apparently.

Always go with first what you eyeball at your home location. If the sky looks clear by eye.... then its very likely to be clear when you get to your dark site. If its cloudly... then theres a good chance its still gonna be cloudy by the time you get to your site... and may still remain cloud all night. Ive spent most of last summer chasing clear skies and ive learnt to ways eyeball the sky before leaving home.

Thanks pingster. I use bbc weather and metoffice to check what it might be like. If it says it's clear then I normally get my tripod and scope set up between 7pm and 8pm as this allows a couple of hours to get cooled down to the temperates outside. I kept checking the forecast and I thought it says it'll be clear'ish at 12am and I'm pleased I left it! I checked before I went to bed and it was still pretty cloudy! After all, I want to have a fully clear few hours to get my first imaging session done and not be disappointed when the images are rubbish because the visibility wasn't that good!

Archived