SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is 450d any good to start with?

jana

I was going to get a 1100d with the money I recently had for my birthday but after having to then spend over £100 on tickets to take my sons to watch the wrestling I am now short again on funds. I have also now been looking into a second hand 450d but am just wondering are they any good or would i be better to wait and save a bit more for a new 1100d?

Thanks

Marc.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW some lovely images there. Does anybody use it for regular photography too or just astro?

I used a 450D for general photography and it is a very capable camera. Live view is an especially useful feature especially with low light / astro use.

Paul

I use my 450D for regular photography both outside and in studio conditions and it is very good indeed. Hard to see why you wouldn't get on with it very well. Its sensitivity in red is much better than earlier DSLRs like the 300D and 350D and the Liveview is fantastic for a whole range of uses - you can even use it as a (relatively) fast frame rate camera for Lunar work using special (free) software.

I've had mine for 4 years now, and it gets a lot of use, for Astro, Macro, to low light and sports. It can struggle a bit handheld in low light conditions as the ISO only goes to 1600, but otherwise, it's an excellent camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to ressurect this thread.

I am confused what to do.... I am a total noob at AP.... Don't have a camera yet even, only SPC and SPC LX webcams. So thinking of getting a "proper" camera. CCD maybe one day but a bit rich for me at this stage of me AP career, so DSLR it is! But which one? I can pick up a 1100D from Comet for £329. And that looks a good deal. For a beginner, does all this IR filter stuff "modding" matter that much? After all, that 1100d is a ver decent package for the price. OR should I be thinking modded 450d / 400?

Appreciate a steer guys please?

Thanks Steve

Modding just makes the camera more sensitive to the red spectrum. If you mod it it is very hard to use for normal day time use afterwards. I have a 450D and very happy it. I have had very resonable amount of noise with it (if its not a hot summer night) and darks take care of most of it. I wouldn't mod mine because 1) it cost to much and I'm afraid of completely destroying it and 2) by the time and money i spend to mod it i might as well sell my camera and combine the money to get a CCD that would do a better job than the modded. My opinion would be to get the 450D or 1100D (which every is best for your budget) and not mod it. Learn everything there is to know about DSLR first and long exposure AP and then when budget allows make the switch to CCD. The modded camera will allow better capture of faint red nebula than nonmodded but then you'll want more. (AP has that effect on people, myself included) Then you switch to mono CCD with LRGB. Then you would've waisted all the money on a modded DLSR that you could've put towards the CCD.

Well thats what I tell myself to keep me from modding my 450D anyways lol.

Wow, £340 including the kit lense, tempted to upgrade :)

Modding isn't difficult (although there are a few fiddly bits), and doesn't cost anything for the 450D, just a few hours of time, and makes a huge difference with emission nebula.

I would say go for a 1100D second hand and mod it yourself (provided the used prices have fallen in line with the new prices ? )

I'm pleased you found that. It's entirely possible I'd read that as it seems familiar, but couldn't find it again when a number of people said that the 1100D was supposed to be better, so I assumed I must be mistaken. It may have subconsciously persuaded me to go for the 450D anyhow :)

James

Well I think it can vary depending on the test that is done as this set of testing http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod500d/rebelmod500dcompare.html#deviation in that link offers a difference in results. So they may be right about the 1100d, like you said I can't compare them side by side either.

Still at the end of the day the 450D is a pretty good option and as a first camera one could do far worse.

Remember there is also nothing wrong with an old used 1000d. There is more problems in imaging than the differences between these cameras. I use 1000d's and never think i would like to upgrade to a better cam(well maybe a mono ccd). Whatever cam you get just remember liveview does make it a little more easy to get focus. The 1000d also still has mirror lockup and that makes a huge difference when taking sharp shots of the moon.

Hi Marc

I have a 450 and 1100 both unmodded , in my opinion the 450 is better , somehow the 1100 feels and seems

not as dynamic and as the colours seem thin, sorry if this don't sense but like i said just my opinion.

poly

Archived